Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Registax or an alternative.

Spacedout

Hello all,

I managed to get some nice video recently of Jupiter and I was wondering how to get a half decent image from them.  I have tried Registax V5 and V6 but it will not accept the videos.  I converted the original files to avi and Mpeg but this did not seem to work either.  I have not tried imaging before so if there is an idiot's guide to solving this I'd be grateful for a copy :grin:

Many thanks

Karl 

Hi James, thank you for your help.  I tried to download AstroPIPP but my Norton did not seem to like it and AutoStakkert!2 had the same issue as Registax.  I think it has something to do with my video file which seems to have the H.264 codec.  I did convert the file to AVI but the same issue.  Not sure what the problem is but I'll do some research.

Thanks again

Karl

Don't understand why Norton would baulk on AstroPIPP.  Chris might be along at some point and be able to offer some ideas.

What camera are these images from?  H.264 isn't really ideal for imaging.

James

Don't understand why Norton would baulk on AstroPIPP.  Chris might be along at some point and be able to offer some ideas.

What camera are these images from?  H.264 isn't really ideal for imaging.

James

Yes, Norton is driving me mad blocking PIPP.  It does not block it because it has found something malicious, it blocks it because it does not have a high enough 'reputation'. 

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories. 

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

From what I understand, this simply means that not enough of their users have installed it, which is quite difficult to achieve when they block this from happening.  I find their approach of blocking all software installers unless they are on their whitelist lazy and pathetic.

This page has details of how to get the files out of quarantine in order to install PIPP:

http://community.norton.com/en/forums/clarification-wsreputation1-detection

Cheers,

Chris

From what I understand, this simply means that not enough of their users have installed it, which is quite difficult to achieve when they block this from happening.  I find their approach of blocking all software installers unless they are on their whitelist lazy and pathetic.

Strikes me that the reasoning behind the blocking is quite flawed too :(

James

Strikes me that the reasoning behind the blocking is quite flawed too :(

James

Indeed!  On top of that, if a developer jumps through Symantec’s hoops and gets a version of software added to their whitelist, then the developer is not allowed to tell anybody that this has happened under threat of their software being blocked again.  This make it quite tricky to provide any kind of user support on the issue.

Chris

Indeed!  On top of that, if a developer jumps through Symantec’s hoops and gets a version of software added to their whitelist, then the developer is not allowed to tell anybody that this has happened under threat of their software being blocked again.  This make it quite tricky to provide any kind of user support on the issue.

Chris

When a security company has to start "hiding" the truth, one starts to wonder how good they actually are at security...

James

Update - Thanks all for the help and I've now worked out the issue, I think....  I changed the image size from 16:9 to 4:3 and now Registax likes it!  All I need to do now is work out how to use it :)

First result:

post-28683-0-94953300-1422289399.jpg

The camera was the CCTV Camera SCB-2000

Thanks again

Karl

Archived