Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my first telescope

Jason_Paul_Greene

Hello my name his Jason Greene. I am new to star gazing. And got my first telescope a dynasun 76x700 reclecter telescope I have seen the moon with it. But having problems with planets. I Troyes to view Jupiter but all I'm getting his a white bright dot and when I focus it all I can see his a dot and nothing else could some one please help me. His it my telescope xxx

Not sure is the first answer.

I am assuming that it came with 2 eyepieces usually a 20mm or 25mm and a 10mm.

With the longer one you will be getting 35x or 28x.

You would see Jupiter, it would be small and it might be bright enough that the total light just swamps the image so it is a bright "white" featureless disk.

With the shorter one you will be getting 70x and that will show Jupiter and a couple of bands.

Are you sure it is Jupiter that you are looking at?

There is no mention of any of the moons and they would be in view and usually get a mention.

The not so good news:
The supplied eyepieces are usually poor, an 8mm or 10mm plossl may make a huge difference, better a 15mm plossl and you should get better views and a bit of width and magnification.

The scope is I think a spherical mirror but at f/9.2 should not be significant.

Finally it may need collimation - all mirrors tweeked to get them aligned. This one may be a case of unless you are sure it is required then leave it as it is.

With a bit of selection you should see a number of objects, it is a case of picking things that are suitable.

This scope comes with 3 eyepieces 4mm -12,5mm 20mm the 4mm is not really worth using as it just give a fuzzy view I found the 12.5 best.

This scope is fairly limited so don't expect too much, there are things to see with it, I saw Jupiter and 4 moons with mine ( but they are small)

Don't go straight from a light room and use the scope, go the darkest area you can find and give your eyes chance to get used to the dark.

Hope you enjoy it.

Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dob. is what I now use.

I'm not familiar with your scope but assuming Zidder does, I agree with the line about expectations. Many people get their first scope assuming the best and getting frustrated with the results. A rough test you can do is download Stellarium (it's free), punch your details in and have a look at what you can expect to see given the best conditions possible. That, and I've become a great fan of sketches. This will give you a decent guide on what to expect.

Hello Jason and welcome to SGL. :)

I think you've had good advice.

Especially Zidder's point of allowing your eyes to get dark adapted first to get the most out of what you are seeing.

Putting your 'scope out for a bit to cool down before you start might help too.

A reasonable 7mm or 8mm eye piece might well make a big difference.

Thank you all very much for you answers and this has helped me a lot. I'm sure I will get my head around this very soon has I am new to all of this. I was starting to think it was my telescope and was going to go out and buy a different one. Lol. But I'm sure it will all fit into place soon after a wile of star gazing yet again thank you all very much x

Hi Jason & Welcome.  You should check to see if there are any Astronomy Clubs in your area, they will be most welcoming.  You could see what scopes they are using and perhaps go to a viewing night with them, it would give you more of an idea what type of scope you would like.

Hi Jason and welcome to SGL, if you have any particular question, then post into the relevant section for advice. I am afraid with entry level scopes there is always a high level of expectation from the new observer, that in the end does not materialise and there is some disappointment. However, the more time you spend observing and your interest and knowledge grows, you come to realise there are limitations with the equipment you have. This does not mean to say that much enjoyment can`t be had from using small aperture scopes, many do and with patience, often achieve excellent results, enjoy :)

Archived