SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with celestron 5se Goto problem.

Hi everyone, i was out the other night with my 5se and just as i have previously i tried to do the 3 star align on the goto. I would go throught the process of picking my location, time, date etc then go on to choose the 3 stars in finder the eye piece for each star. I would get the alignment success message and complete prss enter but then like i always do to test i sellect an object that i know from the database to test, in this case it was jupiter but each time i selected jupiter from the database it would go nearlly directly above my head and not on jupiter.

After a few times trying to sync with jupiter i decided to start the alignment again on different objects but still it goes to the same position above my head.

I tried a factory reset and still the same.

Please help and thank you in advance

Lots of questions:

Why choose your location each time? It is stored and unless you are at a different location does not need to be re-entered.

What location did you pick - Stockport is not going to be known to Celestron.

Entering data each time makes it prone to an error.

Was Long-Lat the correct order, how many leading 0's are there on the longitude value.

What software version is the mount using.

What timezone is present.

What mount itype is defined for the scope.

What power source are you using - this is generally the problem.

I really do wish there was the option to put a USB stick in and download all the user defined scope settings.

lol sorry i meant i have to put the alignment stars in and date/time each time as i had moved the scope to different position than it was for the first attempt, celestron has location settings for manchester / england which i use the universal time/daylight saving.

mount mode is alt-az

the software version says, HC: NXS 4.21 and MC:5.14 5.14.

The power adaptor is the same 12v power adaptor I've used for about 2 years.

Thanks for the quick reply ronin

First option is Daylight Savings is No, or Off. However that makes a Left/Right difference not Up/Down.

Suspect you are entering it but you mention it.

Equally none would cause the scope to do as described. It would go somewhere just not where you expect, and stay there.

And that leads back to power which in various reports is the reason for the scope wandering all over the place.

Forget the software it was mention of a problem elsewhere that made me ask but it did not concern Celestron. Just thought that it could be the same if the software was the same.

Location was because Birmingham is not too far away and people have selected Birmingham Alabama, not Birmingham England.

Suspect further repiles will say Power as well, so if you can check the output voltage of the supply unit, just in case it has changed. Additionally and related what current is it rated at? If low then it might be running out of enough Power in this cold weather and just manages it when warmer. Think you would need a 2 amp supply at 12v to be safe.

As slewing is the biggest consumption and as it appears to go after slewing this is one possibility that would fit.

Celestron used to have an odd sized connector on their power connection, not sure if that is still the case and not heard of people screaming about this for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i am very much a newbie, received a 5SE for xmas, and I am having the identical problem as detailed by Mikyg above, complete alignment and seek out Sirius, and it slews off elsewhere  and points pretty much to the apex above.

I am just using 8 AA's at present (I have ordered a power pack) so maybe that's the reason. I am in the country (in Aus) so use long and lat.

Any updated advice appreciated.

Most issues I've ever had with errant GOTO, have been caused by insufficient power.

A wall-wart power supply of anything south of a fully charged 10Ah battery is insufficient. I have a 7Ah Deben Tracer and it barely runs my LX200 for half an hour before it all goes pear shaped and the EXOS2 is inaccurate from the word go.

I'd suggest a proper 12V regulated power supply, or a good 17Ah Leisure battery as an absolute minimum and as Ronin says, make sure you're inputting time/date/location accurately. Input the location using lat/longitude and not city. Cambridge, UK is in my handset, but I get better results using the coordinates.

Russell

I endorse what other posters have said. If it was me, I would do a factory reset and start again but doing the alignment with a reticule eyepiece (works well on my 6SE).

Also, I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but do you make sure the tripod is level (I use the level on my phone as it's really accurate and I know when it's exactly level as the green light stops blinking).

Other than that, basic checks on the start up procedure;

If you're putting in coordinates for your location rather than city (might be worth a try if you're just using a city), make sure you include all leading zeros, if you're 5 degrees West, make sure you've told the mount it's West and input as 005, not just 5.

Make sure you have the mount set to the right time and time zone.

With the problems you have had so far, it may be just as well to do a factory reset to clear out any inaccuracies that have built up so far.

Archived