SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS Comet Stacking

groberts

I have encountered this issue before and not yet found an answer. I feel it's a simple and obvious solution but, unfortunately not to me! 

Managed to get what look like some reasonable images of Lovejoy last night. however, when I try to stack them it falls over after about 4 minutes with the message: Only one frame out of the 40 will be stacked.  You should check / change the star detection threshold to detect more stars & help DSS find a transformation between referecne frma and others.

As suggested, I whacked the star detection up to maximum and re-run DSS but with the same result.  I have had the same problem before with single objects, most recently Jupiter, so clearly that's where the issue lies.  All other stacking of nebulae and galaxy shots works fine, settings = using Kappa Sigma Klipping & RGB calibration for CLS filter.

Anybody got a solution please?    

PS - DSS has gone haywire! On subsequently trying to stack a normal image (M42) the resulting TIF file is just a thin vertical strip - what's happening?  I was using a different camera (550D compared to 700D before), does this have any effect  / do you need to change DSS for different cameras?  

For comet stacking, I've found that going to "Stacking Parameters", "Alignment", and selecting "No Alignment" helps, obviously having tagged the comet in each light frame.

For DSS, you need to update to the latest version as it can't handle your RAW files from this camera.

For comet stacking, I've found that going to "Stacking Parameters", "Alignment", and selecting "No Alignment" helps, obviously having tagged the comet in each light frame.

For DSS, you need to update to the latest version as it can't handle your RAW files from this camera.

So you're saying that I need to update DSS to the latest version, which  think is 3.3.4 to handle the 550D?  As it is similar and older than the 700D thought it would be OK.  I presume the updated version will still be OK for the 700D?

I had not realised that comet staking was so different.  Have watched frostnixon's video and will work through this again.

Many thanks.  

Mixed success with stacking, I was quite pleased with the original out-the-camera images but stacking and stretching has not helped.  

I followed the instructions to the letter with the first set of subs - without turning off autoalign the old problem of stacking just one frame returned - and then stacked.  I have to say the stacked image was not as good as a single image?

Moving to a second, longer exposure set of images I find that I am now unable to tag the comet any longer - moving the tag pointer it sees the stars for tagging but not the comet this time, so I cannot tag it.  I suspect something needs to be turned on or off - any ideas?

I found it very hit and miss  even working from a file list and with the same parameters sometimes it would stack and sometimes it wouldn't.... I fit produced rubbish you had to quit DSS and restart it... Sometimes it would just crash with an ! mark...

Anyway finally managed to get it to do something useful... with 34 or 55 frames I can't face doing battle with it again tonight...

16320333535_44aee9e38c_o.jpg

Comet C-2014 Q2 Lovejoy QS by psmithuk, on Flickr

Peter...

If DSS won't play ball I have found that if you copy all your subs to a new folder and start from scratch with DSS it will work.  Trying to work from a file list can be a real pain as DSS won't let you change anything once you have checked each frame for a comet (when in comet stacking mode).  What I'm trying to say is there doesn't seem to be a "reset" button!!

Archived