Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi Fetish Continues .........

Another day another Takahashi .........  when will I ever escape this vicious circle ???

Just when I had resolved not to buy any more astro gear, someone advertised this scope at a very, very tempting price.... here we go again, my dear wife just shook her head when I told her I would be away for a couple of days picking up another telescope.

Enter the Takahashi FSQ106ED build # 89 of 2014, in immaculate condition with a genuine Takahashi FSQ case, Extender-Q 1.6X, Clamshell and a pair of LE eyepieces. How could I say no?

DSC_5258iis_zps4b1ecb1b.jpg

DSC_5266iis_zps78507948.jpg

To say that I was happy driving the 700 alms back home would be an understatement .....

Thanks for viewing

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments, here is a pic of the business end:

Had a chance last night to try it on the full moon and compare it to the FS128.  The FSQ with the extender is incredibly sharp and shows very fine detail but with all the glass it does take over an hour to cool down to ambient.  Being a quadruplet with very wide air spaces and having the 5 element Extender-Q followed by the Zeiss prism there is a lot of glass but once it gets near ambient it really shows its pedigree.

MS1_1109cn_zps3b164b4b.jpg

Hi Matt.

Yes, yes...lovely scopes, blah, blah. :wink: 

The real question is; how well does the Argo Navis work with the T Rex?

Hello Pete,

The Argo Navis works very well so far, I just have to learn a bit more about the Argo.  The T-Rex encoders are 4096 tic which is fine for everything I need to do with it.

I printed out the 200 page Argo User Manual but am only on page 50 so far ............... as we age we learn more slowly!

Mr Teleskop Express just sent me a Berlebach Planet for the mount and MattT is bringing a lier extension for me in a couple of weeks time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments, here is a pic of the business end:

Had a chance last night to try it on the full moon and compare it to the FS128.  The FSQ with the extender is incredibly sharp and shows very fine detail but with all the glass it does take over an hour to cool down to ambient.  Being a quadruplet with very wide air spaces and having the 5 element Extender-Q followed by the Zeiss prism there is a lot of glass but once it gets near ambient it really shows its pedigree.

MS1_1109cn_zps3b164b4b.jpg

Oh Dear!

I can feel a drool coming on!

:Envy:

Thank you all for your kind comments about my 'Impulse buy' FSQ106ED.  A truly beautiful scope..............

Then, just when I was a content about my choice, a local astronomer decides to sell his pristine, near perfect TAK TOA130S ............

I won't bore you with the details, so long story short, the FSQ has a new carer and the TOA now lives with me .......... ( and I got to pocket some $$$ as well )

post-29377-0-23543100-1425174423_thumb.j

post-29377-0-84877900-1425174492_thumb.j

Oh Heck,

Now really :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy: :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:  

Derek

Hello Derek,  I think my refractor trading days are over, I bought and sold many scopes on the way to this point.  I feel very fortunate to have been able to put this together as my government pension doesn't really make one wealthy !!  Now if only these ever-present clouds would part to let me use it.  

This is my 7th Takahashi, I bought all of them second-hand and paid a fair price for each.  Luckily I was able to sell each one without losing a single $, in fact with the rising prices of new ones, some even made a profit.  

My favourite scope though is still my 3.25" F15 Berry&Mackay c1880 .....

post-29377-0-62973800-1425326246_thumb.j

Hi,

We just do not see second hand Taks here very often. I've been looking for one but not available second hand at sensible prices. The last one over here that was up for sale had a badly corroded lens. The seller was wanting something over two thirds the new price !!!! even in that state.

I have also been trying to persuade my wife that the new Vixen VSD 100 f 3.8 would be  a nice addition to go on the Paramount ME. She just seems to have gone deaf all of a sudden :sad: Same problems with pension.

Mind you I do have a few old tins of Brasso if you need some for that lovely scope.

Regards,

Derek

The FSQ's real genius is as an astrograph. It has an astonishingly large flat field and good colour correction. I have to say that I've never looked through mine, though I did previously have an FSQ85ED and that was, for a small scope, a demon visually.

Olly

I am amazed that people spend so much money on these most revered scopes that some don,t actually ever look through them. Even the wait for cool down time I would be trembling with anticipation,not forgetting to insert ep at focuser end then attach eyeball to ep.Must be the dark side of the phorce!

The FSQ's real genius is as an astrograph. It has an astonishingly large flat field and good colour correction. I have to say that I've never looked through mine, though I did previously have an FSQ85ED and that was, for a small scope, a demon visually.

Olly

You're missing out on a fantastic opportunity Olly by not putting an eyepiece on the FSQ106, if you thought the FSQ85 was a visual demon you're in for a treat. 

You're missing out on a fantastic opportunity Olly by not putting an eyepiece on the FSQ106, if you thought the FSQ85 was a visual demon you're in for a treat. 

I do have a TEC140 which gets the eyepiece treatment but the FSQ was designed as a camara lens from the ground up. That's how I use mine. It's also the earlier N model so you do need to be very careful not to let the diagonal touch the rear element. Ouch!

Olly

Archived