Narrowband

Anyone using cheap Windows tablet with APT?

michaelmorris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested in this too, you would pay that just for the operating system.......I too would like to use APT with it, even if just for seeing the live view for focusing, I would guess you could connect a powered USB hub to the micro USB port and connect a guide camera too....

Very interesting

:) :)

SS

One thing to check is that the power running through the USB is sufficient to run the guide camera. I have problems with my virtual desktop on my Mac when it's on power save mode. It should be ok, but worth investigating beforehand.

One thing to check is that the power running through the USB is sufficient to run the guide camera. I have problems with my virtual desktop on my Mac when it's on power save mode. It should be ok, but worth investigating beforehand.

Very good point....:)

SS

I'm interested in this too, you would pay that just for the operating system.......I too would like to use APT with it, even if just for seeing the live view for focusing, I would guess you could connect a powered USB hub to the micro USB port and connect a guide camera too....

Very interesting

SS

If you want something for previewing the camera display, then, if you have an Android device with 'USB Host' mode, you can use the excellent 'DSLR Controller' app.  This gives you not only live view, but control of focus on a canon lens, + control of exposures, taking exposures and viewing test shots - it's brilliant.

I'm interested in the LINX because of it (hopefully) allowing me to run an exposure plan in APT when using the camera with my Astrotrac.  Obviously, if it can run PHD, my electric focuser software and Cartes Du Ceil as well then it could double up as a netbook for running my whole imaging rig.

One of my concerns is that it charges via the same single usb port, I'm not sure whether one can use the same USB for both charging and powering a device via a powered USB hub.  The much more expensive 10" version (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/linx-10-tablet-black-32-gb-10100243-pdt.html#cat-0) appears to have a seperate charging input, so this should no be an issue with the 10" version.

If you want something for previewing the camera display, then, if you have an Android device with 'USB Host' mode, you can use the excellent 'DSLR Controller' app.  This gives you not only live view, but control of focus on a canon lens, + control of exposures, taking exposures and viewing test shots - it's brilliant.

I'm interested in the LINX because of it (hopefully) allowing me to run an exposure plan in APT when using the camera with my Astrotrac.  Obviously, if it can run PHD, my electric focuser software and Cartes Du Ceil as well then it could double up as a netbook for running my whole imaging rig.

One of my concerns is that it charges via the same single usb port, I'm not sure whether one can use the same USB for both charging and powering a device via a powered USB hub.  The much more expensive 10" version (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/linx-10-tablet-black-32-gb-10100243-pdt.html#cat-0) appears to have a seperate charging input, so this should no be an issue with the 10" version.

Hi,

Yes I totally agree with you on this

I have an ipad though so no app available for it yet, there used to be, but was discontinued, I used to have it and worked superbly, but when I changed iPads I never put it back on, and now can no longer get it.

Very frustrating.

It was called DSLR remote pro, by One software.

SS

I have the next level up Lenovo version (Yoga) and I pretty much power everything from it (APT, ASCOM via EQdir, PHD, CdC and FireCature) and it all works pretty well. The only software it grinds a bit with is CdC which is pretty hungry at the best of times. In terms of USB 2.0 power I've also not had any issues running the Canon 1100D, Lodestar 2 and EQDir cable through a 12m USB 2.0 extension. I got the one with a USB 3.0 port too as the PGR Grasshopper requires a USB 3.0 connection. For this I definitely have to use a powered hub and a cable longer than 2 or 3 metres simply doesn't work (probably more to do with USB 3.0 than the hardware I suspect). Only other thing to watch out for is good 'ol fashioned hard drive space as I seem to chew through it.

As above, I think the gotcha will probably be USB power but it should be fine.

Will

We have the Linx 10" here (but this has 2Gb ram where as I think the 8" has 1?) and whilst I can't comment on APT as a tablet as I don;t have it, the 10" runs pretty fast and with a keyboard and mouse it runs just as quick with the stuff I have done as my full blown PC. I use Stellarium on it.

But I can comment that the micro USB wont power stuff for example the Linx 10" wont read/see the USB micro magnetic drive. It will power a cheap webcam.

I would guess as long as the device is self powered then the micro USB port with OTG is pretty open.

If Windows knows what to do with it. It is a full Windows version. I have been using a trial Photoshop on it and it is fiddly small as waiting on the HDMI adaptor to arrive but it worked smoothly and fast for what I was doing.

I'm tempted to pop out and by the HP 7" one... It has 32GB on board storage and you can add up to another 32GB via a microSD card slot.. The Linx doesn't have a card slot.

Build quality is also better.

Battery life is around 4 hours running heavy apps.

You get 1 year of Office365 and 1 TB of cloud storage for a year with it as well.

You need an OTG cable to connect external devices I'm hoping that the Samsung one I already have will work if not they are a coupel of quid on ebay.

Peter...

Does the HP one have a separate charging point rather than share the micro usb?

How much ram on the HP.

As far as I have read the linx 8 inch has a micro SD slot and a mini hdmi slot, plus bluetooth.

On our 10 we use the bluetooth for keyboard and mouse.

Ok went down  and came back empty handed... Got a bit more digging to do and questions to ask...

The guy in the store reckoned you have to watch which version on Windows 8.1 is installed on the tablet... They no longer differentiate which version is installed in the system info... The Tech guy reckoned if it's the RT version although you have a "desktop" mode  you can't install desktop apps only apps from the appstore...

Time to fire off a few questions...

Peter...

Checked online with HP and it not RT so went back and bought one...  I also got a 32GB MicroSD for it as well... Charging is through the Micro USB. Shouldn't be an issue for the way I want to use it... 1GB of ram but use some of the 32GB internal storage for the OS

Will find out later when I get home  if the Samsung OTG works and If I can get APT and Canon Software running on it...

Peter...

This looks interesting... 3 Port OTG hub and charging/power port £2.59 plus free delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/niceeshop-Multi-fonction-Charge-Adapter-Connector-Black/dp/B00OK44HNI/ref=sr_1_15/278-6315878-7834208?ie=UTF8&qid=1421412969&sr=8-15&keywords=micro+usb+to+usb+otg

Looks like it can either be powering USB devices or  Charging but  not both at the same time... Switch on side of unit

Archived