Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Holiday in Tuscany

bartyboy73

Evening All!!

I am off to Tuscany next summer staying about 25kms south of Siena. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any observatories that hold public viewing evenings or do observatory tours in the area.

Many thanks,

Simon

Observatory at Viterbo, no indication of public use/access or anything, also a fair distance off of where you are likely to be.

Cannot get a web site for it.

Google for: Cimini Astronomical Observatory

Another in sort of middle of nowhere or a big forest about 100km North east: http://www.osservatorioastronomico.info/

Looks like 50km South of Bologna.

Thanks for the link will have a look and see what these look like. I was dead lucky last year with where we stayed in SW france because there was a very good amateur observatory about 20k away which did public viewing evenings!!

I don't have a travel scope but will be packing the trusty 15 x 70 bins and will try my best to squeeze the tripod in to the suitcase....might need a bigger suitcase!

A monopod is a good idea if I can't get the tripod in....It is pretty heavy. Although I do prefer the freedom the tripod gives me to observe an object and then check my star atlas and then go back to it or even reach for a glass of wine and go back to it!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not an observing opportunity, but if you go to Florence (and if you're in Tuscany, you just have to go to Florence) go to the Galileo museum http://www.museogalileo.it/en/index.html

You'll see some of the scope the great man actually looked through (not replicas).

I can second this. Was there just last year. Well worth the visit, and there is much else to see in Firebze (Uffizi).

Archived