Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Outreach event for Eclipse at SGLX - see update info

Mark at Beaufort

As you might have previously read we will offering the chance to view the eclipse away from Lucksall. Part of the reason is the eclipse starts at 8.20am and the start will not be visible from the Lucksall site because of the hill behind the campsite.

SGL Management has been discussing an alternative site with Herefordshire Astro Society and the Education Officers from the Madley Environmental Study Centre. The MESC is a lovely site next to the BT Satellite Station in the village of Madley (a few miles away) and will provide a 360 degree clear horizon.

See Peter's photos below showing the many dishes plus 360 degree clear horizon.

Herefordshire A.S. and the MESC are providing a whole days event with talks for schools and a star party at night. The SGL Management has advised the other partners that SGL members will not be attending the night time viewing but must return to Lucksall to save any light disruption to others members who stay on site at Lucksall.

Helen (fellow GM) and myself have a meeting tomorrow with the Education Officer of MESC to finalise the event. This will include arrangements for breakfast and lunch for those attending the event.

When I have more detailed information I will post the facts under this thread. Clearly it will be interesting to know how many members fancy going to view the eclipse at this alternative site. I know things might change if the sky is not clear.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Peter the panorama photo really shows what a great site this is. Tomorrow I am hoping we can discuss a formal site visit around the BT site on the 20th March. The BT website still states that its the largest satellite relay station in the world - could be interesting site visit for SGL members.

What time does the sun appear above the hill at Lucksall though? Is it just the beginning of the eclipse that will be blocked or a large portion of it?

This would indeed be useful for those of us who wish to stay on the site (especially as driving would not be a good idea early morning after sampling a few malts)

According to Stellarium first contact is at 08.28 with the Sun around 24 degrees. Max occultation is at 09.30 at 29 degrees with it all ending at 10.45 at 35 degrees.

We can check how many degrees it is when the Sun appears over the hill perfectly from the site during the days before the eclipse and pass the information on to others so they can make their own minds up.

Paul

This is the formal timing for the Madley site - attached

Because I live less than 10 minutes away from Lucksall I will be able to provide the timings and what will be visible before you arrive - certainly if you stay at Lucksall you will see some of the eclipse (if its clear). I have told the Education Officer at MESC that some SGL members may not want to attend the eclipse session. However, you may decide to travel to Madley by sharing cars especially if you had too much to drink the night before  :smiley:

You don't need to make a decision on this yet although I would like to give the MESC staff a few days notice because of the breakfast that they will provide.

The main point is Lucksall is the SGL venue for this special 10th star party and its a social event - the Madley site is solely an outreach event if anyone wants it.

post-1628-0-90062000-1420570093.jpg

I am interested in attending the outreach event.

Mark, what are the plans to travel to the event in terms of timing?

The eclipse starts at 8.23am so I am guessing that most will want to arrive by 7.45/8.00 to set up. Its about 20 minutes drive from Lucksall to Madley so leaving by 7.20/7.30 will give time to get there before the eclipse starts.

The gates to the old airfield (the site for SGL members) will be open from 6.30am so no problem choosing your spot.

We hope to have enough eclipse glasses (these are mainly for school pupils). Helen is hoping to obtain other equipment to view the eclipse by projection.

MESC will provide breakfast - I believe its going to be bacon/sausage butty at about £1 per go.. Veg option will also be available.

I am hoping SGL members will bring their scopes if they are suitable for solar observing although I know some members of Herefordshire A.S. will be bringing some as well.

There will be more information to follow as I progress with further meetings with MESC. Hopefully this will include a formal site visit to the Madley BT Satellite Station.

Thanks Derek and Stu. I will be bringing my 4" APO with Herschel Wedge and the PST on the other side of my SkyTee 2.

I should have also mentioned that we will hoping to present the live broadcast from aircraft flying over the Faroe Islands plus stargazing live from breakfast TV. For those SGL members who will be at the telescope it will be recorded for you to watch later.

Hello Mark

Thank you for the info and the great organising of the event!  Very much looking forward to meeting up with folk again this year and attending the Solar Eclipse party / event indeed.....

I am hoping to scrounge a lift to the site you mentioned on that morning if possible, I will ask around some of the guys  for a possible lift when I arrive at Lucksall on the Wednesday afternoon.

Best regards, Hadyn - Isle of Man

Good news for those attending the outreach event. I have received approval from BT that they will arrange for guided tours of the satellite station. It will be in groups of 25 max although they are willing to do two tours.

When we get closer to the event I will need names because of the high security at the site.

There are a lot of very large dishes so its a good opportunity to see something like this especially as its FREE.

Hi Mark, just to clarify something, can we take our own scopes to the outreach event ? just thinking about H&S and "members of the public".

Dave

Dave

I hope SGL members take their own equipment for their own pleasure at viewing the eclipse. The MESC has public liaibility insurance and I have given lots of advice on the dangers of solar viewing. Of course if you are happy to show people the solar view through your scope that is fine. If on the other hand you don't want Joe Bloggs near your valuable kit I can understand your decision.

We will have school pupils in attendance and have solar glasses for them plus solar projection kit. I am taking my 4" APO and PST and will let pupils plus the general public the opportunity to view through my scopes although I will supervise the whole event very closely.

Mark,

I'd be very interested in joining the tour of the Satellite Station if there is a place available. Well done for organising!

I had some great news yesterday when Mrs T confirmed she has ordered a Lunt 50mm Ha for my 50th birthday and is going to allow me to have it early so that I can bring it to this event :smile:

I will happily share the view with others :wink:

Derek

Archived