SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone using Baader Barlow with a webcam nosepiece ?

Vox45

I would like to buy the Hyperion 2.25X zoom Barlow lens (eventually I will buy the Mark III click zoom that goes with it) but I would like to know if I can screw the barlow into a webcam adapter like this one

http://www.optcorp.com/os-wca-1-25inch-web-camera-nosepiece.html

... or di I need adapter tubes of some sort ?

My cam with the adapter... The webcam adapter has M12 - 28T threads.

Webcam adapter - Step3

I did a bit of research and I have to admit that I am quite confused with all the thread and size and specifications ...The confusion comes from the fact that a regular barlow has an opening where I can slide

the 1.25" nosepiece, but the Baader Barlow does not :/

My question is: how can I use this barlow with my webcam ? Is it possible to screw the barlow directly into the webcam's nosepiece (M12 thread) ? or some kind of converter tube or ring between the 2 ?

The Baader barlow comes with a few attachments. You cannot slide a 1.25 EP into it, the EPs screw into the 1.25 threaded part of the barlow (all mine do) and I am assuming this webcam adaptor will screw in directly as well on the nosepiece end.

There is also an addtional T2 adaptor which screws into the 1.25" thread and this can be screwed into other T2 extensions/adaptors.

The Baader barlow comes with a few attachments. You cannot slide a 1.25 EP into it, the EPs screw into the 1.25 threaded part of the barlow (all mine do) and I am assuming this webcam adaptor will screw in directly as well on the nosepiece end.

There is also an addtional T2 adaptor which screws into the 1.25" thread and this can be screwed into other T2 extensions/adaptors.

I bought the Mark III and Barlow so I will be able to test this out tonight.

My hope is that I can screw the barlow directly into the nosepiece adapter without having to buy extensions tube. Now, I made need to buy extension tubes in the futur to play with FL but I am not there yet ;)

Baby step !

Either way, nothing is wasted buy buying this EP and barlow :) I just wish I won't have to spend on more gear just for a little while ...

I'll update this thread once I've done my little test.

Technically

So I got the Baader Barlow yesterday and was able to test it with the webcam nosepiece ... it's a perfect fit !

=========================================

(1) Webcam and nosepiece + barlow and 1.25" adapter that comes with it

IMG 1560

(2) Nosepiece screwed on the webcam

IMG 1561

(3) 1.25" adapter screwed on Barlow

IMG 1562

(4) 1.25" adapter screwed on nosepiece

IMG 1563

=========================================
Technically speaking it works. I even have a 1.25" thread on the scope side of the barlow to screw an UV/IR filter
Now, I am not saying that this is the way to go, I still need to investigate the "focal lenght" issue. Will the webcam achieve focus and what about the resulting size on chip ? From what I understand, the fact that there is extra distance between the barlow and the sensor adds to the size of the image on the sensor.
Best way for me will be to test ;)

Archived