Narrowband

WA

recceranger

As a self purchase Christmas present I'm getting my good self a new wide angle EP. Can anyone offer advice on a decent model?

Budget not more than £100 and will be using on an ED80 initially and a MAK 180 later.

Would prefer 30mm or above

Loads out there and my head is fried trying to chose!

With the Mak 180mm in mind I think you should go with 2" EP's to max out the field of view. I did have the 40mm Maxvision by ES for my Mak and C8 but it was flipping huge, I mean really really huge! The 34mm might be a bit more manageable though and barely over 100 pounds :) 

I can also recommend the 28mm which would be slightly under budget :)

I agree that the Maxvision would be a little better than the Panaview in scopes of F/8 and faster but I wonder what those differences would look like in his F/7.5 ED refractor and the F/15 180 Mak cassegrain that he is planning to get ?

Yes, you're absolutely right John, I looked up both 'scopes before posting which was why I wrote, "well worth considering".

I know I try to buy the best I can afford to avoid the "what if" feeling which is why the Maxvision is so appealing at just under the £100 budget.

However, in the nice slow 'scopes the OP has and is after, he might well be able to put the 20 quid to better use. ;)

Archived