Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looks V. good here at the moment

John

I've been observing the moon under clear, cold skies here. The seeing conditions seem to be really superb at the moment. I've been able to use "silly" magnification with my ED120 refractor of 375x (6mm Ethos plus 2.5x Powermate) and the lunar surface is incredibly sharp, rugged and intimate :smiley:

Hope these conditions hold for a few more hours - it just might be one of "those" nights !

Our son is having a look at the Moon just at low power, it really does look fantastic, very steady and razor sharp at just 50x mag. Going to try a bit closer in shortly. Tempted to image the moon again, I had a go at about 3pm and was surprised how steady it was during the daytime!

You need to wrap up out there. I'll be popping in and out to warm up I think :shocked:

Clouded out here now, did not want to go out in it any way lol, hope its clear in a few days when i get my new to me large aperture scope  :rolleyes:

Has looked very nice here, but I have been having trouble getting to sleep recently and am now absolutely shattered and have a thundering headache, so I have had reluctantly to pass.  Looks like the next couple of days might be good though, so hopefully I shall get out then.

James

Just got in , went out around 930 for a short session but stayed out longer than expected. Just went for a few favourites including Jupiter, Orion neb, few doubles around Gemini and orion, also couple of clusters around Gemini then beehive. Also saw 2 really good meteors around 11 , one went straight through Orion and burned up over whole length, other was shorter trail but still a great sight :)

I managed to grab some time to be antisocial with the telescope when everyone else had headed to bed - for some reason nobody wanted to join me in the freezing midnight cold...

Had a quick look at the moon - a new year's resolution is to do a bit more lunar astronomy. Jupiter look very crisp and I wish I'd been able to fit the Dob in the hire car, but I was able to turn my attentions to a few open clusters - Pleiades, M35, Double Cluster, Praesepe, NGC2244 (No Rosette) and a brief squint through the alders at the Orion Nebula, always a treat!

Once the moon had gone I re-visited the Rosette nebula and was rewarded with some faint nebulosity once I stuck the UHC filter in.

Then I could no longer feel my toes so went in. Tomorrow I'm going to go looking for the comet.

Happy New Year everyone!

DD

Another cracking night, John; we seem to have had a few breakthrough nights recently. ;)

The moon was very nice indeed though I didn't test the seeing really. I only bumped up the power once on a very low Jupiter, but enjoyed the rest of the show. The cold is tough to take sometimes but rewarding. Frozen scopes are a sight to behold!

Archived