Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big Vic

Stu

Thought I would post up some images of the Vixen after last night's session. Had some lovely views of Jupiter and the GRS in the moments of good seeing.

I've been playing around with a few bits of kit, trying to get things as I want them and like my grab and go setup, I think I'm getting there.

Balance is one issue with the length of the refractor on the Ercole mount. I had a few bits and pieces lying around, and had a cunning idea for a sliding counter balance bar. I purchased two of the counterweight bars/weights from FLO, the ones for the StarAdventurer mount. Putting piece of threaded bar in between the allowed me to join them together and with a couple of angle brackets, they are fixed to two spare ADM mini clamps which in turn attach to a mini dovetail bar.

I've bolted this to the tube rings and this gives me a nice way of quickly adjusting the balance point when going from lightweight to heavyweight eyepieces. It works well and counters the 80mm finder nicely.

This RACI finder was home made, and whilst the optical performance is a little ropey, it is perfectly adequate and very helpful for locating DSOs under my skies. Last night was lovely and clear, plus it got relatively darker once the streetlights dimmed and I really got the benefit then.

I have ordered a JMI motorised focus unit which will arrive in Jan sometime, and this will allow me to get fine focus without touching the tube. I had considered a Moonlite upgrade but will try this first to see how I go.

The tripod itself has a little flex in it which I need to engineer out with some bracing of some sort.

My last purchase to finally finish this off is an AYODigi II mount which again is coming later in Jan sometime. I will run this with the SkyFi unit which will give me push to functionality with SkySafari and should making finding things in my skies easier.

I will post up these developments in here once they arrive.

I will see how I go with the tripod I have, but will consider uprating it if needed. The scopes deserves it! I think it's fine with the Atlux mount as you are not constantly touching the scope, but with the manual alt AZ it is a little too wobbly.

Pics below:

16dfd81eb64c756be2b0806bd45a3b49.jpg

aa875813c2eb53e313f8b606a1d09494.jpg

5759934f6cd25007683b2a13639695fb.jpg

d4b7331fdd5e972ded19eeb1a999e8da.jpg

3aea41670bf909f24fbfa12380c4d234.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to stop posting these pics Stu - they are feeding my scope envy ! :evil::grin:

I like the balance weight approach. I think I'll need something like that when I get my big Istar up and running properly :smiley:

looks very nice Stu.

Got a couple of questions.

Noticed you are using heating strips.Is it necessary? I had my Vixen out a couple of times recently and havent noticed any dew building up.(still need to name the scope)

How is this mount coping with all the "extra" gear you have mounted on as it does seem quote a lot of stuff and the OTA dwarfs the tripod.

From my side,i really like the Skywatcher AZ EQ6GT mount and cant say anything bad.using it in AZ mode it copes with the OTA very well.Mount it self is rock solid and easy / quick to set up.Accuracy is spot on.Tracking is spotless.Finder wise i am only using telrad mounted on OTA and found it sufficient for everything.

Removing 4" focuser and going the moonlite route myself.I really dislike the 4" unit.Still need to figure out will i put on my own 2" unit or will go for the 2.5" unit.Views so far have been simply stunning.

Clear skies!

Gaidis

You have to stop posting these pics Stu - they are feeding my scope envy ! :evil::grin:

I like the balance weight approach. I think I'll need something like that when I get my big Istar up and running properly :smiley:

Sorry John ;-)

The balance system is a little crude but it works very well. At some point I will probably get something bespoke made up but this will do for the moment.

looks very nice Stu.

Got a couple of questions.

Noticed you are using heating strips.Is it necessary? I had my Vixen out a couple of times recently and havent noticed any dew building up.(still need to name the scope)

How is this mount coping with all the "extra" gear you have mounted on as it does seem quote a lot of stuff and the OTA dwarfs the tripod.

From my side,i really like the Skywatcher AZ EQ6GT mount and cant say anything bad.using it in AZ mode it copes with the OTA very well.Mount it self is rock solid and easy / quick to set up.Accuracy is spot on.Tracking is spotless.Finder wise i am only using telrad mounted on OTA and found it sufficient for everything.

Removing 4" focuser and going the moonlite route myself.I really dislike the 4" unit.Still need to figure out will i put on my own 2" unit or will go for the 2.5" unit.Views so far have been simply stunning.

Clear skies!

Gaidis

Thanks Gaidis.

I certainly do need the dew strips but I guess it depends upon your local environment to a large degree.

Last night for example, I had the one on the Vixen on about 30% but it still dewed up heavily. I cleared it with a hair dryer quite quickly and then turned it down to 10%. I don't like using them as they do create heat turbulence. Having got the hairdryer now I think I will favour that.

I certainly run it on full on the finder otherwise it dews up horribly. Thinking about it, I live near a river and between two large reservoirs so that probably explains it.

Regarding the mount, I agree that the scope is under mounted like this. I am looking for a Meade Giant tripod like John has but there aren't many of the taller versions around.

I'm sure the AZEQ6GT is ideal, and I am tempted but can't bring myself to split the Vixen from the Atlux mount and I would have to sell it to fund an AZ. I'm not sure which eyepieces you use but you can probably get away without a counterweight system. I don't use it with the Atlux.

Hopefully the AYODigi will be nice and stable and I will try to pick up a sturdier tripod.

I certainly agree the views are lovely, crisp and beautifully contrasty.

Stu

I love the balance bar, Stu - a very elegant solution. I sometimes have to balance my Dec axis depending on what gear I have assembled at the time and although I have a method using fixed weight positions, yours is much better.

Thanks Steve. It was one of those things that just sort of evolved in my head and I then finally got the chance to put it together.

One other benefit is that it is below the centre line of the scope so does help counter long and heavy eyepieces when at the zenith

It also fits on my 12" Dob and works well there too

must be the water near by what attracts the moist.

as for my set up.I dont even use the counterweights provided by the mount in Az mode.Dont need them.Scope is perfectly balanced and i have not experienced any instability issues or any other issues.As for eye pieces,well,it s a wide variety:starting from featherweight orthos,then to relatively heavy 30mm ES and finishing off with binoviewers with 2x 24mm ES so the business end does see some weight on it.As such, i would say,that mount is well worth considering.

must be the water near by what attracts the moist.

as for my set up.I dont even use the counterweights provided by the mount in Az mode.Dont need them.Scope is perfectly balanced and i have not experienced any instability issues or any other issues.As for eye pieces,well,it s a wide variety:starting from featherweight orthos,then to relatively heavy 30mm ES and finishing off with binoviewers with 2x 24mm ES so the business end does see some weight on it.As such, i would say,that mount is well worth considering.

Thanks again Gaidis.

I use anything from Orthos to a 31 nag. The balance must change when going between these extremes - with the clutches lose surely your scope is not always balanced without any other changes?

Having said that, I must have another think about this and see if I can bring myself to sell the Atlux. Actually, what I should really do is use the Atlux more for a while as it is a lovely mount. It works very well when controlled with Skysafari/SkyFi too

see there is a difference Stu.I dont use my mount in manual mode.It is always via controller.Obviously when i change from ortho to lets say 30mm ES  (31mm nagler in your case) balance will be off,however,with scope being controlled electronically this does not affect me in any way.If it was in manual mode,that would change the things dramatically and i would require balance adjustments.As i mentioned in another thread,i wanted a mount what can track my targets so i can use my belowed orthos at full leisure and this mount so far has done everything i want.

see there is a difference Stu.I dont use my mount in manual mode.It is always via controller.Obviously when i change from ortho to lets say 30mm ES (31mm nagler in your case) balance will be off,however,with scope being controlled electronically this does not affect me in any way.If it was in manual mode,that would change the things dramatically and i would require balance adjustments.As i mentioned in another thread,i wanted a mount what can track my targets so i can use my belowed orthos at full leisure and this mount so far has done everything i want.

Ahh, that explains it then. If you were manually slewing it then you would have similar issues to me but if always powered with the clutches locked then no problem. The Atlux is similar.

I do like a manual Alt-Az though, so I guess I'm stuck with these issues.

Archived