Narrowband

Help for a beginner !

MorgonGreen

Hi guys. 

I have only had my telescope for around 3 days, and i was hoping if you could help me in spotting some cool stuff !

I have a bresser 70/700 telescope, so it would be great if you could advise me on anything

I'm based in London so if you know any sites which would be useful in helping me sight some great things it would be very much appreciated.

Thnaks !

Download a free copy of Stellarium; configure it with your location data; and "Save Settings" in the Configuration Window [F2].

Now, you have a planetarium tool that will show you what's in the sky at your location.  Play with it a while, and you'll discover you can zoom in on objects; run time forward; etc.

Clear Skies

You can also try Jupiter, you will be able to see the bans (very faint) and the moons (which is quite a sight)

Use stellarium to find out when Jupiter will be at the highest point in the sky (should be around 4am) but you can look at it before that of course ;)

Have a look at the constellations Hercules, Cygnus, Cepheus, Cassiopeia, Andromeda I think these will be available to you looking north at dark through to 1am ish.

Learn these constellations and navigate around the main stars, when you can identify the constellations without having to refer to a chart or book etc look at what messiers are in them and then see which one is likely to be brightest and try to find it.

If you dont want to learn how to get around you will need a goto auto system.

It can be a bit daunting to get started I know, but it will come as soon as you find your first messier, but it will take some effort from you to get there.

Have you installed stellarium yet?

yes i have installed Stellarium, and it's fair to say i have apprehended its use and more importantly learnt how to use it !

Everything you need is there. Turn on deep sky objects, establish which is a potentially bright one and in your view, point telescope, observe.

The Orion Nebula (M42) is another `must see` object arcing across the Southern sky at this time of year: Spend a bit of time at the eyepiece to really soak up what`s actually there. An eyepiece offering a magnification of between 40x and 80x I find works well.

Dont be disheartened by London's orange skies, I am sill astonished at what is possible with skies that are comparatively poor for astronomy. The planets don't really suffer from light pollution and the same goes for splitting multiple star systems. The majority of the messier catalogue is also visible to us, but DSOs are always going to be more rewarding from darker skies. Living in London does make trips to dark sites a really spectacular treat!

Take a look at the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers' website. They meet once a month in Regent's Park. I actually find this a particularly poor location to observe from, but there are plenty of friendly folk and a lot of scopes to look through which is always great.

The Orion Nebula (M42) is another `must see` object arcing across the Southern sky at this time of year: Spend a bit of time at the eyepiece to really soak up what`s actually there. An eyepiece offering a magnification of between 40x and 80x I find works well.

Would a 10MM work ?

To calculate magnification if you know your telescope focal length and your eyepiece focal length.....

Telescope focal length in mm / eyepiece focal length in mm... example... 700mm/20mm = 35 magnification

or

If you want a particular magnification.... say 80x

Telescope focal length in mm / desired magnification... example... 700mm/80x = 8.75mm eyepiece

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Miguel

• 3 weeks later...

Archived