SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observation targets

Top target for the winter has to be the Orion Nebula - M42/3 - , while in the area look at the belt stars - Mintaka, the west-most is an easy double - just below Alnitak, the eastern star is another fine multiple system, sigma Orionis.

Have you looked at M45, the Pleiades ? Not to be missed.

When you've had a good look around Orion hop over to Gemini for another nice double, Castor, this is a bit tricky and needs steady seeing. At the other end of the chain of stars starting with Castor is a gorgeous open cluster M35.

To find these gems down load Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

There is plenty of good stuff to find at this time of year, don't forget Jupiter is becoming a late evening object and another on the "not to be missed" list.

Good luck and clear skies.

Jupiter, Orion Nebula (M42), Aldebaren and Hyades cluster, Pleiades (M45), Double Cluser (C14).

Single stars: Betelguese, Rigel, Sirius.

Doubles: Albireo (if early), Mizer/Alcor, Almaak (gamma Andromeda),

Albireo and Almaak will be low (possibly below the horizon as they set early.

If you can see Almaak then M31 may be visible as a slight bloob - that is all as you will only get the centre. Real question is will M33 be visible ?

Top target for the winter has to be the Orion Nebula - M42/3

Have you looked at M45, the Pleiades ? Not to be missed.

To find these gems down load Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Thanks for the tips. . . I use stellarium and have looked at m45 in the binoculars. . Did the Orion Nebula a month or so back so will return and look at the others in the area

Hi all

So assuming I get a clear night or two over the next week, what would be the best targets for my 130mm skywatcher (900mm flength) and 5, 8, 15 & 25mm EPs?

Cheers

Craig

Here is a list of easy targets, sorted by season and size of scope, with finder notes for each.  Hope there are a few here that will keep you interested.

- Richard

craigfoot.......I've been  observing for over a year now with the Skyliner, still fascinated with the hobby,  but due to the Weather  this last Year and  also living this far North ( the telescope is almost unusable during the Summer months due to the little amount of darkness we receive? )  Ive not had the hours of viewing I expected to have had over this time. But when I do go out I'm always searching overhead?

Overhead, the Zenith is best due to there being less atmosphere to look through, which can improve the final image, its a little tight on the neck when trying to look straight up at Polaris! Yes, Polaris is almost directly above my garden? the two major constellations Ursa Major and Cassiopeia rotate around Polaris, so everything from the Pole Star to the bottom edge of Ursa Major is my choice of area to ( my limited choice ) .  For me Ursa major has the most targets , but looking over a street light, through trees or over a neighbours house are my restrictions to seeing these targets on a nightly basis, so I have to travel away to darker sites to get the best. I recently had my family come look at a Star site, Our shadows were visible on the road,! the illumination was from the Milky way? so I have so really dark skies here, but just need to get to the darker sites to get the best.  

Start overhead and work away from the centre, but if you have reasonable conditions, and can see the sky, then look further afield as the suggestions allow. Dark nights to you.

Archived