Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200p dobsonian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice scope with the proviso that you do not want to nor intend to do any imaging.

If you do have that thought hidden away somewhere then it is the wrong scope for that aspect.

The drawback is that you have to point the scope at anything you want to see, and the field of view is not great so things do not just appear in view. But you will get used to that.

As you nudge the scope around it is also not therefore a scope to locate an object then say to someone else "Take a look at this" as by the time they get to the scope and if they move it at all the object will have gone.

Cons for me are the finder scope mount and the focuser.

These things are easily upgradeable although the focuser would not be a cheap one.

There are mods you can do to the scope to make life easier but for the money its a no brainer.

Although I would like to try other scopes and mounts I cant see me getting rid of my 200p, its easy to use quickly when you just want to have a look around but very capable.

As others have said the eyepieces are not the greatest and a wide fov ep upgrade would be beneficial but not necessarily essential.

so if a EQ mount was fitted the chances of imaging would have a better chance

An EQ mount is practically mandatory for imaging. You will need a stout EQ mount for the 8" F/6 optical tube though - at least an HEQ5 I'd have thought and preferrably more for imaging.

The 200p is a great scope for the money.

I would look out for a cheapish EQ mount second hand once you have had the 200p for a while and got used to things, then try the 200p on it. Long term for imaging probably a different OTA. You can always keep the dob for gazing while your imaging on the other. You can never have enough scopes!

Just for viewing and generally speaking Dob's are great. The easiest, quickest  mount to scan and view the night sky, love my Dob. The collapsable that faulksy meantioned in the link is better for portability and very hard to pass up at that price.

My first scope 28 years ago was an 8" Dob.

Since then I have spent a lot of money trying to find something better.......

I now have an 8" Dob :smiley:

I know that feeling Dave.

Bought an 8" collapsible Dob (Black Diamond) - sold to a friend.

Bought a 10" Dob - sold to a friend.

Started to get Dob withdrawal sysmptoms...

Re-bought a 10" Dob. Symptoms gone.

Any friends or family down that way Beany? I'm not trying to talk you out of the 200p as it seems to be a popular scope and a good all rounder at a decent price. The 10" = a bit more light gathering plus I think it still has the Pyrex primary mirror as my long optical tube Dob design. Tracking for the larger 10" Dob's and above is another story though if you'll be going down that path. 8" EQ mounts are much more available.

Keep your eye on the second hand market, bargains do come up now and then ;)

Hi beanyboy1982

Great that you are interested in joining the Dob club. I am just in the process of selling my 250px and various lens (see signature) if interested? All in excellent condition.

Let me know and I can give you more info.

The 200p is a great scope, enjoyed great views of the moon, Jupiter and it's moons and M42 last night. The eyepieces definitely need upgrading and you might prefer a right-angle finder. I've even managed about 20 seconds of video of the moon, but that's about the limit.

The Skyliner 200P is a great telescope. It suits my eyes and needs from my light polluted observatory.  It works much better from a darker site ( all telescopes do )  Designed for visual work, although I have taken some afocal images ( see in my gallery). Takes up the same amount of floor space as my kitchen  dining chair about 52cm square. and stands covered at 130cms.  I can carry the telescope  in one piece into the garden, but you can separate the base for transportation. The only issue I have is the size of the image at the focal plane. Its a standard sized image you would get from any 8" telescope,  I just wish it was twice the size? But I can see the weather bands on Jupiter and early this Year during an observation, I could clearly see a Moon shadow from Io as it crossed the face of Jupiter, so it is capable, but you need periods of good seeing to see images like that with perfect clarity. The 10mm supplied Skywatcher eyepiece, could be better quality, but the 25mm is ok. I chose to invest in the BST Starguider EP's and no regrets.

Archived