Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW AZ4 v VIXEN PORTA 2

Solar_observer

I've got my lunt 60mm solar scope and I now have the eyepieces I'm sticking with ( bcos)

At the moment I have a horizon tripod it's ok but it's not ideal.

So I'm looking at these two options as a solid grab and go mount. I'm just wondering if the az is decent enough? Cos it does not have slow mo controls like the vixen, is this essential for just visual solar ha? I would stretch the extra cost of need be but if the az is good enough I would prefer to go for this. I would like your opinion please? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AZ4 has a panhandle. With practice, and with fhe clutches set just so, tracking becomes painless. Took me a little getting used to, and I don't miss the slow motion controls. But of course this is only my subjective view.

Best advice is see if you can have a try of one. Only then will you truly know if it suits you or not.

I've got an as 4 and find it very good with the 4" frac and accessories, I've not missed the slow mo controls yet but nudge nudge at 180x does get a bit annoying

The lunt 60is only 3kgs have you thought about the mini porta, FLO have an ex demo on sale for £140 ish.. Takes up to 3.5kg... Just a thought...?

I found the AZ4 (steel tube legs) to be rock solid and free from any vibrations. However, after some time of use I did get a bit fed up with not being able to position the target exactly where I wanted to, especially when observing our fast moving sun.

The root cause of the problem is that the clutch mechanism is very basic indeed and as a result I found the movement to be either a tad to stiff or a tad too free.

I eventually opted for  Mini Giro WR  due to the effortless precision of positioning.

I found the AZ4 (steel tube legs) to be rock solid and free from any vibrations. However, after some time of use I did get a bit fed up with not being able to position the target exactly where I wanted to, especially when observing our fast moving sun.

The root cause of the problem is that the clutch mechanism is very basic indeed and as a result I found the movement to be either a tad to stiff or a tad too free.

I eventually opted for Mini Giro WR due to the effortless precision of positioning.

hmmmmm reading this has thrown doubts on this version.

This is an Image of the AZ4 tripod, Giro-WR, Lunt 60 and Equinox 80mm.

I had to drill the hole in the factory AZ4 mounting plate to accommodate the 3/8 bolt that fits into the Giro.

I have some spare st/st 3/8 bolts that fit the giro and you are more than welcome to have one should you decide to go down this route ( surprisingly difficult to get as everywhere seemed to stock metric threads)

post-27910-0-05493900-1419605272.jpg

Thanks pig, that's kind of you. I'm also looking into getting a better tripod with 3/8 thread as standard. I just don't know which way I'm going but this giro does look good. I would much prefer to be able to use a mount without weights though but hey :)

Archived