Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afocal basics.

Sobel

So I have an 8SE and it has been a lot of fun to use. But I wanted to at least document things I look at for 2015 so bought myself a universal camera mount for my point and shoot camera, Panasonic TZ40.

Question is (not yet managed a clear night to try it) do I either take a standard photo? Use the night sky feature (15 or 30 second exposure) or use the video function.

First target will be the Moon with a neutral density filter (which helps massively with the viewing) shall I keep the filter on and record a video and try breaking it down into individual files to use in something like registax or do I simply use the standard photo feature, or even a 15 second exposure?

Same question for planets, I imagine a video would be best then import to registax? 

But for DSO object, like say Orion Nebula, what sort of image would a 30 second exposure get from a point and shoot, I appreciate this is a "How long is a piece of string question"

I'll probably end up experimenting, just wondering what other people may have experienced.

Peter.

The piece of string is the easy one to answer! It will be  twice as long as half its length? The rest might just come down to trial an error.

I have managed a few simple shots with Android and Nikon, both hand held. As for my Nikon, If I used Movie, I would have to convert the file into data that registax can understand, as for the rest, keeping the camera/ phone stable is my problem without a solid mount attached to the focuser.

Hello Peter,

I would recommend taking standard photos (with shutter delay, rather without a ND filter) of the Moon and record a video of planets. DSOs are a bit more difficult, the camera's software can also add a bit of pain. You have to check whether you'll be getting longer exposure times WITHOUT software lowering ISO (as Canon point-and-shoots behave) in order to capture as many photons as possible, otherwise it's useless to even start trying.

Regards,

Marcin

Here are some afocal shots of DSOs I did many years ago with an Olympus 2020z http://community.dur.ac.uk/nigel.metcalfe/astro/web.php which had a maximum of 15 secs exposure (and had very high thermal noise). I imagine modern cameras can do much better - the trick is getting the eyepiece and camera well matched. Some combinations work well and some don't. I wouldn't worry too much about ISO - you still get the same number of photons whatever ISO you are at. Aperture is probably more important - you need to try and ensure the camera aperture is as big as the exit pupil of the eyepiece, or you will lose light.

NigelM

Here are some afocal shots of DSOs I did many years ago with an Olympus 2020z http://community.dur.ac.uk/nigel.metcalfe/astro/web.php which had a maximum of 15 secs exposure (and had very high thermal noise). I imagine modern cameras can do much better - the trick is getting the eyepiece and camera well matched. Some combinations work well and some don't. I wouldn't worry too much about ISO - you still get the same number of photons whatever ISO you are at. Aperture is probably more important - you need to try and ensure the camera aperture is as big as the exit pupil of the eyepiece, or you will lose light.

NigelM

Impressive!

Olly

Archived