SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

lunt 50mm solar telescope

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

l managed to get out with it today got it set up with a 25mm eyepiece but then we had visitors so l had to pack in by the time they'd gone it had clouded over . should be able to get out tomorrow and have a longer session.

This is tantamount to torture! We need details asap! :happy1:

This is a seriously good piece of kit.  I have had first light & for me a maiden voyage into solar observing.  The sol finder went straight on & needed no tinkering, it captured the sun in a 25mm TV plossl first time.......plug & play ! 

A row of 3 prominences were crisp along the limb, a whispy lone prominence was stretching out on the opposite side.  1 large dark sun spot was evident and the surface ferocity was stunning. 

I like this lots.  Moving experience.  Wow !

Excuse the novice review but oh my oh my.

I am pleased you are impressed with your new scope.

Imagine what Betelgeuse would look like close up :laugh: Its very fortunate we can see our very own star in such detail.

I had the chance earlier today to view in both white light and Ha and I have finally figured both scopes so they are pointing at the same target simultaneously :smiley: bang on in each objective

At last the new Lunt 50mm and on SGL to boot :hello2: This thread should not go under the Radar :icon_biggrin:

Congratulations on the Christmas gems, Nipper & Jabeoo :grin:

Listen guys, we need pics and lots of them :p If you can, it would be great to hear your opinion on the views you're getting, what you can see and if possible some kind of image to show what you might be seeing visually. How the scope feels, its ergonomics, and its mechanical performance would also be a nice addition; the focusser, the pressure tuning and how that works, the objective and so on.

I think anyone wanting to get into H-alpha will be very interested in hearing your thoughts, Nipper and Jabeoo. Seriously, it doesn't matter how "novice" you guys may feel you are :grin:

Once again, congratulations on the Lunt 50s and look forward to hearing more from you guys :icon_biggrin:

The word wow and several other expletives arose from my mouth Christmas day as I gazed through my Lunt ls 50!

Really chuffed with this scope I got from widescreen and the free televue Finder works a treat,as I adjusted the pressure tuner I saw a fantastic hedgerow set of prominences and superb detail,I can see what most of my sunny days will be spent on this year.!

A superb piece of kit which seems beautifully made compared to say the Coronado .

I saw great detail even with the sun so low in the sky using my12mm BST. Interested to know what eyepieces others find best on this scope.

my advice ........get one

For the few times I have been on a Coronado this seems more forgiving

Good news then because this was the sole reason I sold my PST. I like viewing in relative comfort, be it reasonable eye relief, wide fields of view or easy eye placement...

I have more or less decided on getting a Lunt 50, but I will hold off on the purchase to first get the benefit of all the feedback you brave first adopters will provide !!!

l have literally only managed twenty minutes with this scope it was delivered on the 23rd ,what with Christmas and the clouds l've not managed any more .hopefully Monday is looking good , believe me l'm itching to get out with it. As far as some pictures with it l am purely visual at the moment although l would like to do some

imaging in the future , that is why l bought the one with the B600 blocking filter. But interestingly there is a little note in the box which says (you will find inside the box an additional black t-thread adapter ring. please retain it for future modifications. this t-tread adapter might be needed for imaging. the manufacturer

lunt-usa is looking to possible making some adapters to make imaging with the LS50THa telescope easier . right now it will not reach focus on DSLR cameras . it will reach focus with some CCDs and webcams when you remove the eyepiece-holder from the blocking filter diagonal. you will find there is also a t-thread at the blocking-filter

diagonal.) l will write my thoughts when l have had a good play. here's looking forward to some clear days.

The included black T-thread adapter has proven its worth.  To achieve perfect focus with some EP's this included adapter needs to be placed between the helical focuser & the diagonal.  With this extra length added to the light path, back focus is achieved without being stuck with the focuser fully extended. Now everything is crisp with the eyepieces fully engaged on the diagonal.  I hope this is useful for anyone scratching their head.  Of coarse leaving the EP proud achieves the same thing but you don't need to do this.

:grin:

Interested if anyone has had to use this visually ,the description of the extender states that it was for imaging not observing?

I only do visual & the details on both the disc and limb are exceptional.  As nipper1967 mentioned Lunt have intention of producing some more accessories to aid imaging.  I have noticed on solarchat someone has been imaging with this scope and the results are very promising.  

The mind boggles at what it could do if double stacked.

With help from J. L Jenkins book 'Observing the Sun - A Pocket Field Guide' I make some notes on Mondays & Tuesdays viewing sessions & put a detailed review up for anyone interested.

(Weather permitting !)

With help from J. L Jenkins book 'Observing the Sun - A Pocket Field Guide' I make some notes on Mondays & Tuesdays viewing sessions & put a detailed review up for anyone interested.

(Weather permitting !)

Nice book :grin: Aything you can include Jabeo would be great. I'm torn between purchasing a Quark for the TV 76 or going for a more dedicated solar scope like the Lunt 50mm (Tal + Coronado mod is no man's land for me).

As a purely visual observer, it would be nice hear your views or see (sketch or posted image) the kind of detail you are able to tweak from the Lunt. You know, whether it Is a bit like Moon or White Light observing where you can clearly see detail, or more like galaxy hunting where you get hints of detail at the horizon of visibility etc. Being in Spain and living near a smallish town, I don't know anyone with a solar scope, so basically have no idea of what is possible visually.

As such, any input would be great and would be really appreciated :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering buying one of these in a few months time.

Having read the various threads that are kicking around the reviews seem to be universally great but I have a couple of questions:

1. There are two variants - B400 or B600 Blocking Filter. The FLO website says the B600 is better for imaging, but does it do anything to improve the view for an observer? (I only do visual)

2. What level on improvement does the optional Double Stack Filter give for the additional £900!?

This might be coming to SGL10 for the Eclipse :cool2:

Archived