Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big Nebula with Big Bins

StarSapling

I decided to take the 20x80’s out for some Big Faint Nebula hunting.  Though the transparency left something to be desired,  I got some better than expected observations, especially with NGC 7000.

Cygnus: 

NGC 7000 (North American Nebula) - The “gulf“, “central america” and “west coast” were easily observed along with many streamers and pools of dark nebula - Xi blazing orange/red off of the “California coast” contributed nicely to the overall beautiful view.

IC 5067 (Pelican Nebula) - Just across the “Atlantic” from 7000, around and near star 57, could be perceived some nebulosity (both bright and dark) that are a part of the Nebula.

Cassiopeia:

NGC 281 (Pacman Nebula) - A readily perceived large, circular nebulosity - perceived no other detail at this time.

IC’s 1805 & 1848 (Heart & Soul Nebulas) - IC 1805 - A just detectable hint of nebulosity surrounding Mel 15.

IC 1848 - East of 1805 in same field - It was likewise a just detectable hint of nebulosity surrounding a small open cluster - field also contained a network of dark nebula.

Perseus: 

IC 348 - Nebulous haze around Omicron - somewhat more pronounced to the southeast.

NGC 1499 (California Nebula) - A just barely detectable large arc of nebulosity north of Xi - it required knowing precisely where it should be and slewing the bins around a bit

I have no idea how to estimate the NELM, I'm not even sure what that is except that it has something to do with calculating the darkness of the sky.  I really don't bother with getting that technical - its either dark enough or it isn't.

I'm about 35 miles north of Tucson on the other side of a mountain range at 4500 fieet.  I have the light dome from Phoenix on my northwestern horizon and the light dome from Tucson close by on my south/southwestern horizon leaving me with somewhat dark skies to the east.

Thirty years ago, the skies here were pitch black, but those days are long gone.

NELM: naked eye limiting magnitude.

Useful for comparing observing sites, e.g if you need averted vision to see something at a nice desert site with a NELM of +6.5 or better, it's probably a complete waste of time for someone in the south of the UK with a NELM of around +5.0 to even bother to look for it.

Archived