Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop CC help!!!

Yes guys yet another post from me :(

I am using Photoshop CC to try and process my images, i know i still have a lot to learn.  I have been watching the following tutorial and trying to follow some of the steps but find when i create a copy of the background then add an adjustment layer it still affects the main background, so i am unable to create a layer mask as sown in the video to remove some of the brighter details and bring more details from the lower layer through. 

I know it is a older version in the video but can anyone give me advise if i am doing something wrong?.... hope this makes sense.

Video i am watching - 

This is what i get in Photoshop

post-34892-0-60796800-1419274299.jpg

Just a guess:

Have you tried to "Hold the ALT key down" + "Click the separation line between the adjustment layer and the layer below"?

if you do that your adjustment layer only affects the layer directly below it.

----

You can right-click on the Icon / miniature of any layer to open the blending options for that layer. At the bottom of  the dialogue window that opens you have "blend if this layer / blend if underlying layer .. " options. 

---

Maybe that's what you're after.

Just a guess:

Have you tried to "Hold the ALT key down" + "Click the separation line between the adjustment layer and the layer below"?

if you do that your adjustment layer only affects the layer directly below it.

----

You can right-click on the Icon / miniature of any layer to open the blending options for that layer. At the bottom of  the dialogue window that opens you have "blend if this layer / blend if underlying layer .. " options. 

---

Maybe that's what you're after

Thanks for the reply, but not really what i am after, i just tried that and it still affects the "Background cop" and the "Background" layer :( 

What i am trying to do is add a levels/curves layer to bring up the outer detail of M31 but when i do this the core gets really blown out, so as in the video he uses a layer mask to bring the darker core through from the below layer, 

But i can't do this as whenever i add a adjustment layer every layer is affected :(

You have this adjustment layer on top, so it affects everything below. 

Try right-click the Levels1 layer and choose "merge down". That merges Levels1 and the layer below. Then add a layer mask, and paint on that with grey.

Archived