Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Essex

Space Oddity

Hi, my name is Brian and I am new to astronomy although I have always been interested in it starting with the moon landings in 1969.

My wife bought me a telescope as a surprise 60th birthday present (Skywatcher Skymax-102)—and I'm hooked! We also go caravanning and usually stay in 5-van sites which are normally on farms and the like and far away from street lighting, so the Skymax is ideal for taking with us.

One thing that I have already found out about GoTo scopes is that you do have to have a certain knowledge of individual stars in order to set them up—so I have bought a planishere and Turn Right at Orion to begin my education!

I apologise in advance for any daft questions that I may ask—but we all have to start somewhere.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing you will find useful is a 32mm plossl eyepiece and get the finder accurately set up.

Goto Mak's are a useful size but the field of view of them is quite narrow, which makes the setting up more difficult.

The other thing you will find useful is a 32mm plossl eyepiece and get the finder accurately set up.

Goto Mak's are a useful size but the field of view of them is quite narrow, which makes the setting up more difficult.

Hi Ronin,

The one thing I do not like about the Skymax is the finder that came with it—I am struggling to set it up with just the two adjustment screws that seem very hit and miss and I do not like using the crosshair sights. I would like to replace the finder with something that is more accurate and easier to set up—would a Rigel Quickfinder be suitable?

Hi Brian....welcome to an excellent hobby (and an excellent forum).

If you want to talk to other Essex based people, then check out the social groups section on this forum. The cloud dodgers are a welcoming group!

Regards

Great! Very close. I don't know if you have looked into joining any clubs, but you have your pick of Clacton AS, Orwell AS or NEAS in Braintree, the latter being very active and having their own large observatory at a dark site.

Rob

Archived