SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cleaning Eyepieces

vlebo

I have had some eyepieces in storage for a couple of years until I buy another scope . They are in the wardrobe in my bedroom in there bolt cases and original boxes with lots of dessicant pouches in with them. Yesterday I took them out to give them the once over and they seemed fine. The 30mm had a little dust on the viewing end so I tried to blow it off with my breathe but it would'nt budge so being uber a--l I cleanerd both end with Baader Wonder fluid and the provided cloth. I sprayed some fluid on the cloth and gently wiped the lens with a circular motion.Everything seems nice and clean and dust free so alls well.

I was wondering by doing that if you actually remove some of the protective coatings on the lenses or are they tougher than I think. Hate to think I've caused any damage as they are not cheap eyepieces.

Thanks

Chris

The main risk is getting a small piece of grit between the cloth and the eyepiece which can score the coatings.

I always use a blower before cleaning the try to ensure they are grit free before starting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very recently had an issue with my BST 25mm cleaned it carefully with wonder fluid and micro cloth but it seems it picked up light oil from the twist up cup, got it done but tricky, a simple plossl is a breeze to clean, just a quick blast from a rocket blower and a wipe

There is something important to keep in mind regarding the dessicant. By design, it removes moisture from the air and stores it, usually as part of a salt or chloride compound.

Once the dessicant becomes "loaded up" with water, it can actually become a source of humidity, releasing moisture into the environment of your storage box.

You may already be doing this, but I would recommend changing the dessicant fairly often (frequency depends on ambient humidity). Even better, there are dessicants which come with color indicators to show the water content.

I lost an entire set of 66 router bits some years ago by neglecting to change the dessicant on a timely basis. I opened the box and rust was everywhere. Anyway, good luck with it

Archived