SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Eyeieces for H-Alpha Solar Observing?

cshahar

Hi Everyone:

I just bought an Explore Scientific 4-inch f7 refractor. I also bought a Daystar H-alpha filter. I am wondering what you would recommend as a good 2-inch eyepiece(s) for solar viewing in H-Alpha? I have heard several recommendations from scattered sites around the internet:

Meade 15mm Super Plossl

Cemax 12mm

TMB100 16mm

Nikon 8-21 zoom

Nagler 3-6mm zoom

Skywatcher 8-24mm zoom

Celestron 8-24mm zoom

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom

I would really like to get people's opinions on this forum, who have spent a lot of time at the eyepiece and have pretty defined preferences; and who have also compared various eyepieces for their solar observing prowess.

Thanks!

-Charles

I don't know much about the Daystar filters. Is it the quark? If so I have read that Televue plossls are the most recommended. I have a PST mod and find a 15mm and 11mm TVP are most used although I have bought a seben 8-24mm zoom on the recommendation of a (very experienced in Ha observing) SGL member. not really used it yet as it's a Christmas present.

I think all the eyepieces you mention are 1.25" and I cannot see any benefit to 2" for solar system objects in general.

Hi Everyone:

I just bought an Explore Scientific 4-inch f7 refractor. I also bought a Daystar H-alpha filter. I am wondering what you would recommend as a good 2-inch eyepiece(s) for solar viewing in H-Alpha? I have heard several recommendations from scattered sites around the internet:

Meade 15mm Super Plossl

Cemax 12mm

TMB100 16mm

Nikon 8-21 zoom

Nagler 3-6mm zoom

Skywatcher 8-24mm zoom

Celestron 8-24mm zoom

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom

I would really like to get people's opinions on this forum, who have spent a lot of time at the eyepiece and have pretty defined preferences; and who have also compared various eyepieces for their solar observing prowess.

Thanks!

-Charles

Can I ask what sort of "Daystar Ha" filter you have bought?

Ian

Happy to give my tuppence-worth, but I fear it may be a penny-worth.

I have a much smaller solar scope (see sig) than your mighty four-inch and my favourite EP is the 12mm Cemax. I use/try almost all of my eyepieces and get some good, some bad, results.

Best I can say is - have fun and try out everything you can.

That's why you're doing what you're doing, isn't it?

Hi Charles,

Congrats on your purchases! I have not used the Quantum.

I only use 1.25 inch eyepieces with my h-a scopes. I have a SolarMax 60, and a Daystar Quark which I use with various refractors, from 60mm to 120mm.

With the SolarMax 60 I like using Tele Vue Radian eyepieces, and with the Quark, as per the recommendation from Daystar, I use Tele Vue Plossls, my favourite being the 32mm.

What focal length does your system give you? (as far as I know, there will be a barlow involved?)

I use the following two for Ha, the 9mm Vixen SLV & the Lieca Vario Zoom.

Both are top notch and give the most outstanding views of the Sun I have had, you may want differing focal length eyepieces to me as I use them in my shorty refractors :laugh:

Archived