SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

image cropped after aligning a set of images with meridian flip

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last two days trying to align 96 images. They were taken over four nights. Two sets were done after a meridian flip (Camera position had not moved, but scope had changed from west to east side).

I am using nebulosity. I have tried align + rotation and align + rotation + scale. On both attempts it stacks the images, however, half the image is missing/cropped, and the image is at a weird angle. On each attempt I used two different sets of stars to align.

The image itself looks great (for my skill level), however the image is completely unusable as half of it is missing.

It takes hours to both align and then loads more hours to combine them. I would really appreciate any advice before going back down the rabbit hole

I've googled and I cant find anyone with the same issue.

Any ideas?

Ok, so I googled again trying different search words and came across another thread on this site. I found someone who had the exact same issue. I've fixed it by manually rotating 46 frames and saving them before stacking

Not impressed with nebulosity anymore. The whole process is ridiculous. Dealing with multiple copies of each image at different stages of processing. Clicking on the align stars in each frame is so tedious. I had to click on a stars 192 times when trying align + rotation. Now the only way I can avoid this is by manually rotating and saving any images after a meridian flip. Life is too short.

Does other processing software simplify things?

Ok, so I googled again trying different search words and came across another thread on this site. I found someone who had the exact same issue. I've fixed it by manually rotating 46 frames and saving them before stacking

Not impressed with nebulosity anymore. The whole process is ridiculous. Dealing with multiple copies of each image at different stages of processing. Clicking on the align stars in each frame is so tedious. I had to click on a stars 192 times when trying align + rotation. Now the only way I can avoid this is by manually rotating and saving any images after a meridian flip. Life is too short.

Does other processing software simplify things?

Nebulasity is a decent capture software with some processing capability. Give Registar a try, in trial form it will do all the work but will not save, the licence fee is about $150.00 but all it does is aligning and stacking difficult subs and nothing else.

A.G

Archived