Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's My Paramount doing?

Liquid360

I think once slewed from home that most (all?) tracking mounts continue tracking. One advantage of Synta mounts with Eqmod is that you can easily stop them - I can with the heq5 syntrek, anyway. I don't have any obvious way of stopping my AVX once it's started. Homing it doesn't stop tracking - I have to switch the power off. I've not investigated whether it's possible to stop it via ascom.

Louise

Ah..... I think you might be getting a little confused between "Home" and "Park"...

If you use the handset to move the mount to the Home position and leave the mount switched on, it will still continue to track, so after 6 hours the mount will continue to track by 90 degrees - It's a good job you didn't lie in a few more hours otherwise the EP may well have crashed with one of the legs :eek:!

I don't have a Paramount, (I use an NEQ6 / EQMOD) but I suspect it may also have a "Park" option on the handset(?).  If you "Park" the mount that should also stop the drives, and when you switch it back on again, it will know exactly where you parked and so will be able to go to your chosen object using the alignment points you set the session before.  (Alternatively, after you've used the handset to move the mount to the "Home" position, you need to switch it off to stop if continuing to track :smiley:).

I'll look up parking in the manual. I defiantly homed it and never placed into park. Did it simply park itself after no activity?

no it was tracking not parked . Whilst tracking it will do one revolution in aprox 24 hours this is too small a movement to see so the mount would appear to be doing nothing its a bit like watching the hour hand on a clock you don't notice its moving unless you leave a decent interval between looks. parking is where you stop the drives but leave it in a state where the mount will remember where it is hence not needing to reaquire alignment when it starts up it should from a parked position go straight to any target you enter on start up. However if you switch off and its not parked you will need to realign. This is assuming you haven't moved the mount. You didn't turn it off or put it into park mode thats why it kept tracking  

Yes?

Sorry, I went to bed after my post. As others have stated, it has continued tracking after being returned home. As you have said, it's not a problem, just need to sort parking out. I know nothing about your particular mout but I assume you will also be able to set "limits" so incase you nod off whilst imagng etc, you can have it set so the scope won't run into the mount on the other (west) side.

All part of the learning curve I'm afraid :D

I think it was just flexing some muscle, showing off. My stunning wife is nonexistant/imaginary and spends all of her time praising my choices and life decisions so it couldn't have been her.

A - Ghost in the machine.

B - Your wife is messing with you.

Kind regards and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Some information that may be of use as I have a Paramount MX+

If you home the mount it will continue to track until it hits the software slew limit which is normally about 2 hours past the meridian but it can be custom set. Always better to park the mount then disconnect.

Please make sure you calibrate the hand controller if you leave it connected to the mount. If you don't do this the mount can slew all by itself & you can lose control of the interface. I am told this is because random noise gets interpreted as input.  I have disconnected the hand controller as I mostly image so have no need to stand at the telescope freezing my nuts off.

If at some point you get the unusual symptom of the pointing not working as it should i.e. everything looks 90 or 180 degrees off from where it should be  just do a re- initialization back to defaults. This has happened to me once in six months for some unknown reason but was quickly cured with the re- initialization.

Have fun- it's a great mount! & don't forget to do an automated calibration in excess of 400 points to get a PSD RMS like the one below:

post-36426-0-91675100-1420323661.png

Archived