Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how do start backyard astronomy

hi larsmuylaert    first question is what do want yo  to do ultimately Observing or astrophotography or both

Free to download is stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

I am going to point you to another part of the forum What can i expect to see is a very good read http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/

I would also recommend a book and its called "Turn left at Orion"

For "backyard astronomy" I would say go for an 80mm refractor and a small goto mount.

As you are in Belgium I will use the TS selection:

They do an 80mm f/7 ED which should be good @ €545

For the mount you could try the iOptron SmartEQ again €545. Slight concern is that having seen one the tripod for the SmartEQ looks a bit lightweight.

That gives a reasonable system that is easy to set up and use, and if you use it then you will see a lot.

Aye, it would also be a good idea to know how much you're initially willing to invest otherwise you might have some sweet pea suggesting a set of Ethos and a TEC APO 140 would be a good way to go :p

It would be a good suggestion though!  :grin:

No, budget and intentions are essential. The kind of sky you have would also be worth knowing so as to give best advice.

Olly

For hand holding go for 8x42 or 10x50. There is little difference in brightness. Low magnification gives a steadier image.

On a tripod you can use 15x70 and upwards but tripods are no good near the zenith which is the best part of the sky.

Olly

larsmuylaert,

How about telling us first how much you are willing to spend and hard you want to work at it.

If you want a relatively easy way forward, the 80mm refractor with a goto alt/az mount is the easiest.

If you want a tool to be able to develop your skills while enjoying better views, nothing beats a dobsonian.

For binoculars, I like my Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 with a nice large FOV of 6.3 degrees for panning the skies.

Hello and welcome to the forum

Ok let's see:

(1) what are the best Tripods and mounts

Can you tell us more ? it depends on what you want to do. For Astrophography (AP) you need a motorized mount and then, depending on the weight of your gear you need to choose a mount that will support that weight. If only for oberving then you can choose a mount with no motors which are cheaper or buy a goto mount which are pricier ;)

(2)  Eyepice and beyond as telescopes and binoculars books and guides

could you reformulate as I am not sure what you mean by that ?

(3) okay so what are they best binoculars for astronomy

Then again, the price for binos range from 25€ to 1000€+ so when you ask for the best, be prepared to call your banker for a loan ... Most people would go for quality binos in a price range that you feel comfortable with as you will be using them a lot even if you get a big scope. Do not buy theater binos (the one with fixed focus) and buy a pair of 10x50 (50 being the diameter) as they are well suited for astronomy. Bigger ones (20x80) are a lot heavier and require a tripod.

8x42 binoculars perfect for grab and go observing; not too bulky, heavy or tiring. I keep mine handy for nights where there are breaks in the cloud or where i don't have much time for observing. Good for learning to navigate round the sky, especially star hopping

Archived