Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 Elephant's Trunk using DSLR and ED80

peroni

Hey

I grabbed this last night...

Using my usual equipment: Canon 1000D unmodded and ED80 scope

17 lights of 15 mins each

8 darks taken early this morning, flats and bias added also.

I'm amazed by the colours. I couldn't even see this target on a 5 mins exposure  :shocked:

post-15911-0-97309200-1419085127_thumb.j

Thats very nice! I had a quick go at this at the end of a session just to see how it would fit on my sensor and results were not great. Main problem is the FOV is so small I'll have to do a mosaic, and I cant see the pattern of the nebula at all on single subs to line it up. I reckon I can do it using some reference stars, but will be a bit of fun I think. Also need a CC before trying this.

How did you process your image?

Thats very nice! I had a quick go at this at the end of a session just to see how it would fit on my sensor and results were not great. Main problem is the FOV is so small I'll have to do a mosaic, and I cant see the pattern of the nebula at all on single subs to line it up. I reckon I can do it using some reference stars, but will be a bit of fun I think. Also need a CC before trying this.

How did you process your image?

The image was stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and post processed using Photoshop. I had to be quite aggressive with the stretches.

Same frames used. Only 10 stacked this time as I think either high cloud or dew got the last load of frames. I've not stretched the final stack as much this time and prefer the outcome. What do you think?

post-15911-0-34218700-1419190302_thumb.j

When I started doing Astrophotography about 12 months back, I promised myself I wouldnt over-process everything. But now TBH I could stretch and saturate for England.

So... on balance I prefer the first one. Also the 2nd version looks rather blue overall, no? Also, when I did mine I upped the contrast to make the dark lanes darker. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!.

When I started doing Astrophotography about 12 months back, I promised myself I wouldnt over-process everything. But now TBH I could stretch and saturate for England.

So... on balance I prefer the first one. Also the 2nd version looks rather blue overall, no? Also, when I did mine I upped the contrast to make the dark lanes darker. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!.

I think you are absolutely right. The image is a bit blue (I left it that way on purpose to retain the star colours). Stretching without noise, that's the tricky part with DSLRs.

It's so difficult to decide how far to colour balance an image. As you say 'beauty is in the eye ...'

The more I do this the more I realise processing is as much art form as it is science. I love it.  :grin:

I'll give this image another go and try to settle on some middle ground.

Archived