SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Max exposure for dslr

piprees

Just wondering, perfect polar alignment, tracking and guiding, wonder what the maximum safe exposure time for a dslr, (canon 40D), would be before things went pear shaped? I have this vision of blue smoke coming from the chip!!!! :Envy:

Phil

I don't think there is an upper limit if it's cold enough.

I do 20 min subs in mine when it's -10 out and there is very little noise.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Just wondering, perfect polar alignment, tracking and guiding, wonder what the maximum safe exposure time for a dslr, (canon 40D), would be before things went pear shaped? I have this vision of blue smoke coming from the chip!!!! :Envy:

Phil

You are limited by your sky quality, LP and in no small measure the limited well depth of the DSLR sensor. Most DSLRs used in the light polluted areas are safe to about 300s with a suitable LP filter, if you are lucky to have nice dark sky then 600s ( with guiding ) is possible but you may find that stars lack colour due to early saturation. I have managed up to 1200s using a NB Ha filter with a 1100d. Some of the more recent full frame pro DSLRs seem to have better well depth but having looked at their prices it is cheaper to go for a full frame cooled CCD which is made for the job.

Regards,

A.G

The histogram will give you the limit for your sky conditions.

For any combination of ISO and f ratio get your histogram somewhere between 25 and 50%.

In theory you should'nt have a problem, I have done 20minute exposures on really good nights.

The norm here is 300secs at f4 for a 25% histogram and I have moderate LP.

It depends on your camera - I have no experience of a Canon 40D, your focal ratio, your target and how dark your sky is.

This is an unprocessed 20min sub I took the other night with my DSLR. The only thing I have done to it is shrink it and convert it to jpg to post here.

post-37404-141910090356_thumb.jpg

I used a Baader UHC-S filter, I always use that even though I don't have much LP as I need the IR block from it.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Archived