SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please help!!! Can't see anything

Hi guys

So I bought the skywatcher heritage 130 as reviews and discussions said it was simple to use. 2 clear nights and I still can't see anything

When looking through all I see is a bright ring with a dark hole. This is on both stars and Jupiter or what I think is them. I saw this is meant to be out of focus but when trying to focus nothing changes

Please help what am I doing wrong. I thought aim and see, but I'm not seeing anything.

I am a real beginner and know nothing about astronomy but am I being too naive about viewing. I really didn't think it would be this difficult

Sounds like you are a long way out of focus. Use the longer focal length eyepiece (25mm?) and run through the whole range of focus, it should come in at some point. I think the Heritage has a helical Focuser which you turn to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually a doughnut shape is way out of focus.

Have you actually travelled the focuser from one extreme to the other, as in to each end stop?

The other thing is do it slow, the focuser is I guess a single speed and you may be passing through focus too quick.

Next is there a 2" adaptor with the scope as there is with the 200P newtonians?

If so then this has to come out and the 1.25" adaptor put back in.

They load up the scope with a 2" adaptor that will take the 1.25" adaptor in it for shipping.

Then it gets left in and you cannot focus the thing.

Also just in case put the 25mm eyepiece ONLY in.

I only say this as on one scope that someone was having problems with, the scope came with eyepiece, barlow and extn tube. So they assumed that all the bits had to go on. Simple solution as all I ahd to do was take as many bits off as I could, then it worked.

A bright ring with a dark hole - like a donut, is what stars and planets look like when they are well out of focus with any scope that uses a secondary mirror.

You need to use the focuser, which moves slowly in and out, to bring the eyepiece to focus. Use your lowest power eyepiece (ie: 20mm or 25mm) to get the hang of it. Don't use a barlow lens for now, if you have been doing so.

I have tried using the 25 and 10 and got no view from the 10mm but the donut shape with 25mm. It's no different when their turn the eyepiece to focus. I aimed at the moon a couple of weeks ago and saw that in that with both the 10mm and 25mm but still not really what I was expecting. Just bigger but no definition to it.

I have tried moving the focus. Turning the eye piece is focusing right?

The tube that the eyepiece is in should actually move in and out ie: towards or away from the scope. It's that motion that brings the eyepiece to focus. With the Heritage 130 I think the focuser is a helical one so it has a twist action. It's the focuser that you twist though, not the eyepiece.

No, turning the eyepiece is not the focus.

Hopefully turning the eyepiece should do nothing at all.

On a newtonian (your scope type, reflector) just below where you put the eyepiece in there should be one or two wheels between where the eyepiece goes and the scope body on either side, turning those moves the eyepiece in and out from the scope. That is the focuser.

Put the 25mm eyepiece in, tighten it up a bit (usually small screw on the side but not always) and then wind the focuser in and out by the small wheel(s).

Hopefully things will get less doughnut, then big bright splodge, then small bright splodge, then a sharp image.

Still check for a 2" adaptor, may not be with the 130 but just in case.

As mentioned, make sure you are fully extended. 20mm may be all it takes to miss the focal point :) if you look at the ends of the "poles" at the tube end, they should from memory hit the brackets they slide through.

HTH

Archived