Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unplanned short session 19th Dec

bluegiraffe

I wasn't planning on getting out tonight, but I saw it was clear and didn't want to waste the opportunity!

I started off looking for M1 the Crab nebula. I'm dying to see it, but got another failure to locate it to add to the list. I left that search and went to one of my favourites, the Orion nebula - I never get tired of that view. I could see a very faint suggestion of green, and used averted vision to try to see just how big it is. A lot bigger than I thought it turns out! While I was in Orion, I thought I'd have a little look around Collinder 70 as I'd read about it in the Sky at Night mag. I got my first look at the Hyades which I thought was lovely, I'll be returning again, probably with bins for a larger field to appreciate them properly. I noticed Gemini is back in my view again, so I hunted out M35. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is, and I spent a lot of time just looking. I finished my session with M36. I tried for M38 but I couldn't get my mount to go high enough which was disappointing. I'm waiting for Jupiter, it's just out of view for me at the moment but I'm hoping over Christmas and New Year to get a long night viewing in.

This is the first report I've been brave enough to post, so thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing. Always worth posting a report, even if you're still finding your way around. It's enjoyable for those of us who are clouded out or too busy to get out, and I always find people have some helpful tips and suggestions for the next evening's viewing.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice report. :smiley:   Often, the impromptu sessions prove to be more rewarding... especially in the winter when we're all getting "house burnt".

Regarding M1... It is a toughie, and you'll likely be disappointed when you do find it.

Here's how I find it in Taurus with a Telrad...

post-38191-0-56647700-1419086879.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone :)

Wow lowjiber, it's pretty tiny! Is it possible I've seen it and not noticed?

Here's a little trick that sometimes works...

After you've jumped to where you suspect M1 is in your scope's FOV, gently tap the eyepiece with a finger to cause a bit of shimmy.  The mind/eye is wired to notice things that are different and moving.  Often, that will reveal a faint fuzzy that was in the eyepiece all the while.

Clear, Dark Skies

Yeah, don't be deceived - you'd think 'cos it's the first on Messier's list that M1 would be really easy to spot, but it isn't. Lowjiber's tapping tip really helps, as does an OIII or UHC filter if available.

He's also right in that it is a little disappointing when you do find it; I've yet to see any detail or structure to it.

Archived