SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Powerpacks and the like

Hi all, quick question which may help me out tonight! 

Looks like my battery pack is starting to run dry - I can only get about 2 hours from it now. Does anyone reckon I can stretch out tonights session by plugging it in while it's being used or will that open some kind of time portal to hell? Its just the mount being powered, no dew stuff tonight.

Much help appreciated!

Cheers

Will

Well an update:

Simply because I was curious I plugged it in anyway and the power light on the NEQ6 is now only intermittently flashing - not great but better than flashing fast (which it was). It may stretch out my session for tonight at least!

Just to point out that if you run a lead acid battery power pack down to the point where it stops operating the mount you are probably doing the battery permanent harm. Unfortunately you should stop using it when it reaches a certain voltage not when it 'runs down'. Normal 'wet' lead acid batteries should not drop below 12.8V (see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/231832-best-value-power-tank/)

Just to point out that if you run a lead acid battery power pack down to the point where it stops operating the mount you are probably doing the battery permanent harm. Unfortunately you should stop using it when it reaches a certain voltage not when it 'runs down'. Normal 'wet' lead acid batteries should not drop below 12.8V (see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/231832-best-value-power-tank/)

Yes I think this is something that has happened here. It was only ever intended to be a field solution but has got more use than expected. It really needs to be replaced I think. Thanks for the link though - I didn't realise that discussion was going on!

Cheers

Will

I did manage to "resuscitate" my old battery when it had run down too far after prolonged lack of recharge and combined with storage in a cold garage. It would not recharge with the built-in charger so I attached a more simple, brute force type external charger to the jump-start leads. This worked a while but the capacity was greatly reduced. I replaced the battery and now store it in a warm location, and recharge it frequently.

I think you're right Michael, charging mine recently has been a little erratic and the weather has been getting very cold which has done it no good. I think its probably time to stump up the cash and get a lithium one - in the long run, I suspect it'll be cheaper!

Thanks for your help and comments guys, hope the skies are clear in Switzerland and The Netherlands!

Cheers

Will

I've said this before....

Dump the "starter packs" and invest in a couple of 20Ah Gel cell batteries and a good triple step charger.

If they don't outlast any pack you have - I'll give you your money back!

My batteries are now almost eight years old and still as good as new!

I did manage to "resuscitate" my old battery when it had run down too far after prolonged lack of recharge and combined with storage in a cold garage. It would not recharge with the built-in charger so I attached a more simple, brute force type external charger to the jump-start leads. This worked a while but the capacity was greatly reduced. I replaced the battery and now store it in a warm location, and recharge it frequently.

Last week the battery on my MKiii MR2 died due to two months of lack of use. The smart charger that was supposed to have rescued the battery could not even start to charge it and indicated a dead battery. I connected an old dumb charger that I had and set it to charge at a boost rate of 14.5 amps, within 3 hours the battery was recharged . So much for smart chargers. The trick is to let the charger over charge the battery to disulphate it but not going too far.

A.G

PS : I would not try this with any other type of battery but lead acid. There is a serious risk of the battery exploding.

I've said this before....

Dump the "starter packs" and invest in a couple of 20Ah Gel cell batteries and a good triple step charger.

If they don't outlast any pack you have - I'll give you your money back!

My batteries are now almost eight years old and still as good as new!

Ok next dumb question then, what the hell is a triple step charger? 

It's a "smart" battery charger which can supply a higher voltage, higher amp charge for flat batteries, then back off to a lower charging current until the battery is fully charged, then finally drop down to a trickle charge to maintain the battery. 3 stages...

The battery can't be "cooked" by leaving it on charge.

HTH

It's a "smart" battery charger which can supply a higher voltage, higher amp charge for flat batteries, then back off to a lower charging current until the battery is fully charged, then finally drop down to a trickle charge to maintain the battery. 3 stages...

The battery can't be "cooked" by leaving it on charge.

HTH

Great stuff, thanks for the top tip!

Will

Archived