Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42, trap-E,F and H

jetstream

M42 was very good tonight, showing its green mottled core superbly. The trapezium gave up E & F easily in the 10" dob and I thought I also saw H coming in and out of averted vision.

Two more star surprises, the Sirius pup was seen and so was Rigels double- I never knew this star was a double, very nice sight. These views alone made the night and the rest of the objects seen were bonus.

Using the Lumicon OIII with the 30mmES 82 the Monkeyhead neb in Gemini was a piece of cake and the Rosette nebula also showed nicely. Comparing my 2 OIII's the Lumicon showed these better, using a large exit pupil however. More was seen in and around Gemini, a very good hunting ground. The Eskimo neb showed well, as usual under dark skies.

No HH, but after being able to see some of the doubles mentioned and the trap it didn't surprise me. This indicated avg transparency and good seeing, which is unusual here. The Flame neb was visible, but weak.... Oh well, I'll keep trying for the HH lol!

I finished off the night with a favorite Jewell of the Sky, NGC 7789 or Carolines Rose with her swirling dust lanes and beautifully arranged stars.

Clear Skies, Gerry

Nice catch Gerry, I needed red filter to get the pup in C8.

Yes, the monkeyhead, it's generally considerred that around 2mm exit pupil is best for DSO, how's your 10mm Ethos view on it than the 6mm exit pupil 30mm ES? Both EP should frame the nebula quite nicely, I presume.

Cracking report Gerry, that's some achievement. I really struggle with these from home even with the 12". By these I mean E & F, no chance of any more than that. Pretty amazing to get H in a 10".

You'll get the HH sooner or later :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice catch Gerry, I needed red filter to get the pup in C8.

Yes, the monkeyhead, it's generally considerred that around 2mm exit pupil is best for DSO, how's your 10mm Ethos view on it than the 6mm exit pupil 30mm ES? Both EP should frame the nebula quite nicely, I presume.

Embarrassingly enough I didn't even try the 10mm....this is because of the OIII required though, the Lumicon for sure wouldn't go that low and the Astronomik gave a less contrasted view so I put it back. Last year under better trans the 21E and Astronomik was best- I should have tried this out but I sensed the sky changing so I hurried some things. In general, for these big nebula they show better with a wide TFOV, to provide contrast all around the edges.  The Rossette is really big and this is where the 30mm (6.2 Exit) FTOV comes in, and the narrower passband of the Lumi works very well.

Cracking report Gerry, that's some achievement. I really struggle with these from home even with the 12". By these I mean E & F, no chance of any more than that. Pretty amazing to get H in a 10".

You'll get the HH sooner or later :-)

Thanks Stu, my planned targets were the Perseus galaxy cluster. When I set up and was dark adapted I picked out HIP 15282 for an NELM of 6.4....thought I had it made. To confirm the star I backtracked thru the little triangle of stars to Omega Persei. I figured that some of these galaxies would just pop into the EP! Ummm No. After flailing way on these too long and catching some very very faint small roundish glows I left, not sure what if anything they were.

I stopped to confirm my star again and it was gone....trans went away a bit. Such is the nature of my sky. BUT, I thought maybe seeing is above avg.... :)

I have obs the e & f stars before and use them as a seeing test....there they were, and with another very faint star popping in and out off to the side a bit. Tried many times, there it was, the H, confirmed when I got home.

I am really hoping some others see Sirius b and Rigels companion with lowish mag....I was using the LZ unbarlowed and my 12.5mm Tak ortho, these 2 EP's gave very low glare and allowed me to catch these 2 doubles.

ps sorry to ramble.....

Mag 6.4 skies, that sounds pretty amazing!

I've not managed Sirius B yet, but find Rigel quite easy from home, lovely double.

I hoping to grab Sirius with the Vixen when it gets a bit higher.

Sounds like the LZ was working well for doubles?

Cheers

Stu

I can't figure the LZ out Stu...some doubles, not so good and yet this. I've said before that it wasn't a favorite EP for splitting, and I normally use different EPs... I think because the way it is corrected for distortion, magnification isn't constant across the field by a little bit. One thing is for sure-we cant beat the ability to fine tune the mag when obs things.

I suffered a minor tragedy last night Stu.... the LZ presented M42/M43 better than my beloved 17 Ethos- by quite a bit. :icon_pale:  Except for the lower loop around the bottom of the neb which was more apparent in the 17E. I love my 17E.... but it better pull up its socks :grin:

Lovely report Gerry :smiley:

Nice to read about these lovely winter targets as they seem to have been hidden by clouds for quite a while here :smiley:

E & F Trapezium are always a nice challenge which I usually preceed by checking out Rigel and Sigma Orionis to see what the conditions are like. I've not yet picked out more than 6 Trapezium members although I may have had glimpes of G when I least had my 12" dob out. Under the best conditions here E & F will "go" with the 102mm refractor and are routine with the 120mm.

I've yet to see "the Pup" this Winter. Hopefully it's a little easier than last time as the gap between it and the A star should have widened a little more.

Last time I was observing Orion I looked up Alnitak and Eta Orionis both of which are nice tight pairs and well worth a viewing :smiley:

Thanks for the reminder that there is some nice stuff behind the grey layers !

Archived