Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV102 and OOUK 12" Dob completes me!

I've just collect a used OOUK 12" dob to complement my 4" refractor. 

I'm positively shocked at how (relatively) light weight and manageable it is compared to any 10" dob I've handled (and this is a 12" mirror). It just seems much less cumbersome. It sits on a home made aluminium base and once the OTA rings are slackened, the whole OTA can be slid up and down whilst on the base for easy balance. Instead of teflon, it sits on a combo of homemade metal rings and plates. It's just as smooth to manoeuvre, but rock solid when knocked with zero dampening. The aluminium base is lighter too than any 10" base I've handled which is a massive bonus.

I'm just hoping the sky gods will be kind and the clouds will part a little so I can get first light.

post-5588-0-00753800-1418759579.jpg

post-5588-0-50597700-1418759590.jpg

post-5588-0-84974200-1418759598.jpg

post-5588-0-36759400-1418759607.jpg

Congrats on a very nice combo! I hope to get a Tele Vue 102 one day. Oh, and an Orion Optics 12 inch as well :laugh: :laugh: I like the idea that the OO dob will be no more diff to handle than my current 10 inch GSO dob while having 40% or so more light gathering power.

Yep, well spotted Shane. Small and snug for back seat car rides. I'll have to live with coma for a while as I'm well and truly financially flatlined now (but holding reserves for a Ethos 20mm cough, cough should one become available!)

I've pulled the emotional strings with the wife too. Telling how I'm now set for 20+ years of stargazing with my now complete set-up. This time 12 months ago I only had a pair a bins. I'm well set now for all sorts of astronomical delights!

It is the best of both worlds indeed!

Although I have pondered that point already Shane. I do love the zero maintenance, and super easy grab n go nature of the frac, so I'm anticipating it will remain in my arsenal. 

Congratuations on the dob ! :smiley:

Shane made the mount for mine and you are quite right, the OO dobs are light for their aperture. My 12" F/5.3 weighs about the same all up as the Skywatcher 10" F/4.7 dob does. Easier to set up than my refractors as well in all honesty.

Hope you have a lot of fun with it :smiley:

John it does seem pretty quick to manoeuvre and set up. I really enjoy the views through a frac, but maybe the new scope will change all this? Time spent with both will reveal more no doubt.

Iain I'm still hoping to try your 14" OOUK one day!

And Shane I'd love a go with your Ethos 20mm. Your welcome to visit my family hotel (low rates guaranteed). It's near Lancaster and not far from the dark skies of the Forest of Bowland. Low rates apply to John, Shane and Iain should you wish to visit. It's a lovely countryside hotel on the tow path of a canal.

Archived