Narrowband

More examples with mono images

neil phillips

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This run is certainly less effected by the jet-stream. The other disturbances could be just lower level / more localised seeing conditions. I did notice a slight pause just after halfway through which could be down to low RAM resource during capture??   

Pete 

One thing I notice is that you have a much cleaner edge on the right limb than on the left.

Yes that's correct Freddie ive noticed over the years I have had that with all the Newtonians I have used. Sometimes it can be collimation. Other times it can be mirror cooldown, or temperature differences between the mirror and outside air

I have seen this numerous times, Often during the night the condition improves. Which I believe indicates its a thermal issue rather than a collimation one. Though of course, Certianly collimation should be inspected from time to time. And I will do that on both scopes. The Orion has been holding collimation lately better than ever before.

But good observation Freddie. Any other considerations about this I am all ears from anyone

This run is certainly less effected by the jet-stream. The other disturbances could be just lower level / more localised seeing conditions. I did notice a slight pause just after halfway through which could be down to low RAM resource during capture??   

Pete 

Again you are also correct Pete, Even though my hard drive is defragged. And I have had plenty of Space on my hard drive, It has been getting worse of late. It kept freezing on screen at some points I had to stop the capture.

Weird thing is the more I capture the better the problem got. Any hints how to help this situation without a new laptop ?  

It has about 400 GBs on the Hard drive at any one time. and has 6 GB Ram installed memory from new.

Again you are also correct Pete, Even though my hard drive is defragged. And I have had plenty of Space on my hard drive, It has been getting worse of late. It kept freezing on screen at some points I had to stop the capture.

Weird thing is the more I capture the better the problem got. Any hints how to help this situation without a new laptop ?  

It has about 400 GBs on the Hard drive at any one time. and has 6 GB Ram installed memory from new.

I have a program installed called Piriform CCleaner - Its clears out a lot of junk from the Windows system and all other installed applications. In the past when I have had this stuttering I stop,  run the this app and it has sorted it out.

Pete

Ive got the same problem with the freezing on capture Neil but rectifys itself after so many runs, I too have 6gb ram 750gb spare hd & usb 3 618 cam?

Ive had twitchy seeing on ocassions. Is this what they call fast seeing? Thermal activity is more of a fuzz than a twitch I would have thought Neil?

its confusing Stuart ive had both.  I get fuzz too ? some points looked like I was completely out of focus

Find it hard to accept my focusing was that out, for twenty mins or so ?  In the past I have seen the capture start sharp, but by the end completely out of focus.

I noticed when I started running a fan during capture this problem improved. which led to those better shots ive posted last year. But so far nope. its all worse than average

I have a program installed called Piriform CCleaner - Its clears out a lot of junk from the Windows system and all other installed applications. In the past when I have had this stuttering I stop,  run the this app and it has sorted it out.

Pete

Never heard of this Pete. Is it free ware ?

gallery_7987_2065_223660.png

For what it's worth, this is a random (though representative)single frame from the AVI I used to produce the image I posted. Shows even "fuzz" around the edge unlike yours. It always amazes me how the software manages to turn that fuzz into what I posted.

I think I would expect to see thermal issues at the top or bottom of your image so wonder if it is collimation. My CPC is easy to collimate with MetaGuide, your newt will be a lot more difficult to get spot on.

gallery_7987_2065_223660.png

For what it's worth, this is a random (though representative)single frame from the AVI I used to produce the image I posted. Shows even "fuzz" around the edge unlike yours. It always amazes me how the software manages to turn that fuzz into what I posted.

I think I would expect to see thermal issues at the top or bottom of your image so wonder if it is collimation. My CPC is easy to collimate with MetaGuide, your newt will be a lot more difficult to get spot on.

True Freddie, but there has been times in the past with the Orion early on, the edge problem was there, by the end of the night it was either gone, or hugely reduced.

I will also add, on some of those occasions I produced quality shots. I am not sure either the problem, or my level of miscollimation  will effect the quality to the degree I have had recently.

It is a mystery. it could be poor seeing, and thermal issues in the cold. I have seen this before. But its so persistent. I thought it was bad last year. this year has been a joke.

I will keep trying. with the Orion more, because it copes better with thermal cold shock problems, and see how I go. I will also check collimation more in the daytime

Never heard of this Pete. Is it free ware ?

Yes there is a free version though I think I installed it from a CD that came with PC Advisor magazine!!

I can't say it will work for you Neil but it always sorted the issue out for me when the RAM was running low - Firecapture shows the RAM resource during capture so its easy to determine this as the cause of the momentary pauses as they always occur when RAM gets below a certain value.

Also I think USB 3 puts more load onto RAM due to the higher data transfer speeds. 

Pete

Yes there is a free version though I think I installed it from a CD that came with PC Advisor magazine!!

I can't say it will work for you Neil but it always sorted the issue out for me when the RAM was running low - Firecapture shows the RAM resource during capture so its easy to determine this as the cause of the momentary pauses as they always occur when RAM gets below a certain value.

Also I think USB 3 puts more load onto RAM due to the higher data transfer speeds. 

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete Ive downloaded this & run it through but theres a lot of junk that comes with it to uninstall it seems a good program hope it helps the problem!

Thanks for the info Pete Ive downloaded this & run it through but theres a lot of junk that comes with it to uninstall it seems a good program hope it helps the problem!

You should be able to do a custom install and avoid any unnecessary and unwanted add ons. Hope it helps Simon.

Pete

Another option that may help if the problem still persists is to consider a faster external SSD in order to increase the write speed (especially for USB3 cams) thereby reducing the load on the RAM buffer. If cams get faster frame rates which they surely will at some point then this is probably the road I'll take.

Pete

Another option that may help if the problem still persists is to consider a faster external SSD in order to increase the write speed (especially for USB3 cams) thereby reducing the load on the RAM buffer. If cams get faster frame rates which they surely will at some point then this is probably the road I'll take.

Pete

Very intresting Pete it could well be the case, it looks like solving one problem ie to get faster frame rates does create other issues in itself!

Hi Neil,

A bit late in on this discussion. I get this effect all the time, but just live with it. It's worse on some nights than others. I agree that it sometimes gets better with time over a session.

My theory is background activity in the PC after power up. I disable wifi which certainly helps. As the progs finish their maintenance etc, there is more resources available to the capture so it goes more smoothly.

The jerks are just re-aquiring the planet again when capture restarts, but in the pause the planet has moved slightly from the last position so it appears to jump to the current position.

Other things I have blamed are the cold and interference from mount control cables etc.

It's a pain, but I don't think it really affects the final image much, just extends the time needed to capture the target frame count.

Best regards

Peter

That's interesting Peter regarding the jerking. I'm thinking outloud here Neil but I'm wondering if this is a imaging source IC capture issue.I remember jerky captures when using my DFK with IC capture but dont recall it happening with my why and its software? IC capture was always a pain for crashing.

Hi Neil,

A bit late in on this discussion. I get this effect all the time, but just live with it. It's worse on some nights than others. I agree that it sometimes gets better with time over a session.

My theory is background activity in the PC after power up. I disable wifi which certainly helps. As the progs finish their maintenance etc, there is more resources available to the capture so it goes more smoothly.

The jerks are just re-aquiring the planet again when capture restarts, but in the pause the planet has moved slightly from the last position so it appears to jump to the current position.

Other things I have blamed are the cold and interference from mount control cables etc.

It's a pain, but I don't think it really affects the final image much, just extends the time needed to capture the target frame count.

Best regards

Peter

Hi Peter, yes its ok when it starts to run more smoothly, but it sometimes actually freezes to the point I have to stop a capture. This is not good. I can often cope with it, by defragging before a session. cleaning. Turning of wi fi ect But it can be a pain.

Archived