Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 and M82

halli

Very nice! This is my next target. Have tried a few other nights, but think that my alignment is off (always end up getting random stars).

However, it seems that the clouds just don't want to go away!

Thanks for all your comments

Olly - Take your point.  I have looked back at the processing stages and I can see that some of the previous images may have had more data.  

I use pixinsight to do the majority of processing and am careful not to lose data from the histogram during stretching. However I find that the resulting image suffers from background noise defects which are difficult to get rid of.  I am assuming this is due to light pollution and the use of a DSLR.   I then save the image to Canon Digital Photo Proffessional suite and create a HDR image.  This provides greater contrast and camouflages the noisy background -  I think it is at this stage that some of the data gets lost at the expense of solving some of the background problems.    

I would like to use a CCD under dark skies to understand whats really possible without a lot of processing !

I have attached the output from the Pixinsight stage  and the HDR stage for comparison

I'd be interested in people's views about the comparison between them and which they prefer.

post-36401-0-93576500-1418854204_thumb.j

post-36401-0-88207900-1418854273_thumb.j

Archived