Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using trigger-grip ball-head

bambuko

Spurred on by reports of good deal available on above mentioned, I quickly bought one and mounted an old TAL finder to try it (OK, not a binocular but I think the topic fits best in this section?):

IMG_8487.jpg

One thing I didn't realise is that unless you align the ball head with the slot in it, the elevation is rather limited (as shown on the photo above)

The slot I am talking about:

IMG_8488.jpg

And here, what's possible if you align the slot:

IMG_8489.jpg

So, a practical question - how do you use it guys?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a while since I've owned a trigger grip. I always found it easier to use 2 way heads myself. The trouble I found is you can't make nice small adjustments easily with trigger grips as it requires pressure on the trigger as well as ALT/AZ. OK this is no big deal with 4° fov bins but still more effort than with a pan and tilt. As for use there should be some way of tensioning the ball and trigger (not sure if the trigger is adjustable on one in such a good deal) so that it will move reasonably freely with a load but not so much that it becomes a floppy kipper. It also pays to drop a small amount of oil on the ball to prevent wear and allow for better adjustment. Comfort usually dictates the ALT you want to view so I wouldn't worry that the slot is the only means of viewing the zenith. If you do want to look higher try and engage the slot on the center stalk and this should then pan around the center stalk 360° (again not sure if this would be a functional on the cheaper models?)

I'm not going to knock the deal though as it's excellent and Santa is bringing my boys mum one from them for xmas to use with her DSLR.

If you do want to look higher try and engage the slot on the center stalk and this should then pan around the center stalk 360° (again not sure if this would be a functional on the cheaper models?)

It does indeed.

It was a very good find by the person who did find it, thanks very much!

Just got back from my second visit to the allotment today- shovelling the 'organic soil conditioner' this morning,and trying out the Ravelli/ballhead combo tonight! Very pleased with the sturdiness of the rig,and the ability of the ballhead to hold my Helios Apollo 15x70's steady up to the zenith- However,I do think that I may have a crick in my neck tomorrow morning! Wish I'd stopped out a bit later now,as M42 was getting better by the minute!

I played with mine as well (there was a window of clear sky around 21:00)

I soon got used to holding ball swivel bit with my left thumb, such that the slot in it was facing me, allowing elevation to any angle I wanted.

I also found that without depressing the trigger you can twist the head 360 deg round (that's above the ball with ball fixed and locked)

I could pan it in any position without the need to "...engage the slot on the center stalk..." (perhaps because it was adjusted such that the friction in ball head was greater than friction in rotating head?)

Very pleased with performance and steadiness.

Very good views even with my little 6x30 scope.

I am looking forward to trying on it my 8x50 scope :grin:

The trouble I found is you can't make nice small adjustments easily with trigger grips as it requires pressure on the trigger as well as ALT/AZ.

Use it on a monopod and tilt the monopod slightly: problem solved.

As for use there should be some way of tensioning the ball and trigger (not sure if the trigger is adjustable on one in such a good deal) so that it will move reasonably freely with a load but not so much that it becomes a floppy kipper.

The "trigger released" tension on the ball is adjustable; see manual mentioned in my post above. I don't know of any models with an adjustable trigger tension. Many people seem to think that the Manfrotto/Bogen 222 has this, but what it actually does is adjust the tension on the ball when the trigger is fully depressed.

It also pays to drop a small amount of oil on the ball to prevent wear and allow for better adjustment.

Please do NOT do this! It may smooth the motions a bit, but it also makes it impossible to get a non-slip tension on it.

I could pan it in any position without the need to "...engage the slot on the center stalk..." (perhaps because it was adjusted such that the friction in ball head was greater than friction in rotating head?)

That is the "normal" state of affairs (and something that you will almost (hedgeing here!  :grin: ) certainly lose of you lubricate the ball).

+1 on this

Do ball heads vary then ? I have always been led to believe (pretty sure I read it in the instructions. Different model to the Ravelli mind) that a small amount of lubricant was required to avoid any risk of wear to the cup or the ball ? I prefer to lubricate my ball heads trigger or otherwise and I have never experienced any ill effects and the tension has always held firm.

If you insist on lubricating your ball I would only use graphite (sparingly) and never anything oil/grease based, but you shouldn't really need to lubricate at all...

at least that's my view :grin:  YMMV

I'm certainly no expert on photographic heads (and would therefore be delighted to be corrected if any of what follows is wrong), but I believe that there may be a distinction between trigger-grip heads and "ordinary" ball-heads. The latter are easily tensionable, so the effects of lubrication may not be as dramatic as with trigger-grips. However, I echo Bambuko's advice: the usual reason for a ball becoming stiff is that dust or grit has got into it. oil-or grease-based lubricants will just adhere more of the stuff you don't want. The photographic community seems to be divided on the wisdom of lubricating "ordinary" ball heads; some e.g. here recommend using minuscule amounts of WD-40 (which is not actually a lubricant, but a water displacer (it's what WD stands for)).

If a trigger-grip got so stiff that it was difficult to move, I suggest that the first thing to do would be to dismantle and thoroughly clean it.

The Manfrotto  ball heads tend to have some lube on them looks like it might have some graphite in there somewhwere... on the other hand my Vanguard Trigger grip one slips with heavy kit on it with just a bit of oil or grease from your fingers on the "ball" had to change the way I was carrying it...

Peter...

post-8355-0-27548600-1418747863.jpg

It was a while ago I had one but I'm almost certain it was this one http://www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/product-reviews/Tripods/Tripod-Heads/Ball-Heads/Bogen-Imaging/p/BG3265-Bogen-Manfrotto-3265-Grip-Action-Ball-Head-with-Quick-Release-Supports-5-6-lb-3265.html which again I'm almost certain it was mentioned in the instructions that a smidgen of lubricant should be applied but as the general consensus is that it shouldn't be, I think I will go with the majority vote not to use any in future.

That's the Bogen 3265, which is the US designation for what was sold in the UK as the Manfrotto 222. Quite a few differences from the Weifeng model that most here have; certainly better made and tends to have a much smoother ball, although the trigger mechanism is a bit more vulnerable to damage. Interesting to read the comments: nobody seems to have realised that the ball tension is adjustable via the adjusting screw in the base of the unit.

I can understand why you didn't get on with it: must be really awkward to use on a fixed pier!

Yep your not kidding. It was a pain on the pier. Very stable which was what I'd been looking for when doing the project but because I wanted it at a comfortable zenith viewing height it meant that anything closer to the horizon require a set of small steps to hand. At around 35° it was a dream to use as there was no tripod to kick or trip over. The bins remained rock solid even in a stiff wind with no worries of them falling over if I quickly nipped in for a brew. But as mentioned above I didn't find the Trigger grip all that user friendly with bins as the higher your elevation the tighter you needed the tension which ended up in either me arm wrestling the trigger grip or the bins drooping.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve

Just wanted to thank you for your very informative manual on how to use/adjust the trigger grip (mines branded Ravelli). It's a great easy to use guide and I thank you for posting it.

I'm still delighted with my tripod and trigger grip combi...best £37 I ever spent!

Happy New Year to all.

Dave

Just picking up on my last post, I printed out Steve's manual and was today able to find time to follow all the instructions and set up my mount and trigger grip correctly and also adjust it to my liking.

My bins are now perfectly set up, rock solid and able to view up to the zenith if I want to :-).

Thanks again Steve for such an informative guide!

Dave

• 9 months later...

Did anyone ever find source for spare quick release plates for this Ravelli tripod?

Ravelli-Tripod-APGL4-quick-release-plate

that's the thing on the left of the picture.

They are proprietary design (at least for APGL4).

I can make one, but if one is easily available...

I would like to keep one for my camera and another one permanently modded for my binoculars.

I'm  a bit late to this, but I bought a second quick release plate for my trigger grip a couple of years ago. Looks like they are still available and still cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-Head-Plate-Kn-Tripod-60/dp/B0073C1F0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1445457701&sr=1-1&keywords=Konig+Head+Plate+for+Kn-Tripod+60

Different name but the trigger grip ball head has been sold under various banners so I'm pretty certain that it will be the same. This was my tripod/head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003SPJNTS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Archived