Narrowband

C28 - NGC 752 open cluster

WaveSoarer

I got my telescope set up as soon as it got dark to do some imaging of the galaxy NGC 925, which was just visible in my 200p as a faint glow with a slight grainyness to it. While my camera was clicking away, I started hunting around with my binoculars. Just above the naked-eye star beta-Tri (or tracing a path in the opposite direction from the line through beta-Tri to the galaxy) there was a very pleasing looking open cluster. It appeared in my 10 x 50s as a two faint glowing patches with a misting of faint point like stars sprinkled over the dim milky light. It was safely within the FoV and it provided a very pleasant and rewarding view. I later checked with Stellarium and found that it was C28 (NGC 752). A wonderful surprise and a very nice object to just stumble upon. I had a quick view of the cluster through my 200p with my 20mm EP. The FOV was just filled with stars and I'll try again with less magnification once I get the chance. I eventually packed in once I got very cold and ice started forming on the tube of the scope.

After checking my notebook, it appears that I've alreadty stumbled across it before. This was just over a year ago. Maybe the cold of last night was getting to me. It didn't help that I was called out to work just before midnight  to sort out a problem. Doh. Still, it was nice to stumble on it - again.

I think conditions were very good last night. As I am recovering from a cold I did not set up the scope but went out with my 10x50s for a quick look around and I was really surprised (and a tad annoyed) that the sky seemed so clear. Just looking in the general area of Cassiopeia reviewed a carpet of stars, then I looked at Orion and was surprised at the detail in only 10x50s. I started with my 10x50s and I continue to use them.

I am glad to read that you had a good 'find' with NGC 752.

Archived