Narrowband

Britains best selling telescope

The 8" dob, I read it all the time. I never did any viewing when I was living in the UK but I believe the statement is true, it's a great scope and the great people here endorse it.

But I was just wondering where it comes from, the reason is to see where other scopes came in what must have formed a list, probably more than one list. Maybe it was run by an astronomy magazine. Does anyone know where these lists are and can provide a copy of them or a link to them?

Cheers

Suspect it is one of those comments that is passed around and so is accepted without backup. Bit like some of the TV programs, they are reported as watched by millions, but over several years I have never known anyone that watches any of these "high viewer" programs at all.

In the reverse a fair time back it was always said hardly anyone had a goto, then someone asked on here and after 5 pages of replies at least 2/3 of the people here had one.

I'd say the 8" Dob is certainly the most recommended telescope, but as to whether it is the best selling is another thing.....

The thing is, loads of people come on here looking for recommendations (especially) at this time of year and without doubt, the 200p is the maximum performance bang for your buck. However, it's a Dob and not a big one, so that means (at this time of year) crouching at silly angles to see planets, realizing that Newts are high maintenance (read steep learning curve) in terms of collimation and rely on you knowing where stuff actually is. I'll bet a large number of people end up thinking this is all too much faffing about and wander off.

I sometimes wonder if the new raft of cheap alt/az goto scopes would actually be a better recommendation? A Skymax 102 Goto is only a tenner more than the Skyliner 200p, is less demanding on EPs and will show (if not as brightly) more stuff sooner for a beginner.

Just my 2p....

Russell

The thing is, loads of people come on here looking for recommendations (especially) at this time of year and without doubt, the 200p is the maximum performance bang for your buck. However, it's a Dob and not a big one, so that means (at this time of year) crouching at silly angles to see planets, realizing that Newts are high maintenance (read steep learning curve) in terms of collimation and rely on you knowing where stuff actually is. I'll bet a large number of people end up thinking this is all too much faffing about and wander off.

Russell

There are an awful lot of used ones on ebay at the moment. So they may indeed be the best selling but not necessarily 'keepers' :wink:

"Most popular" doesn't necessarily mean "best-selling" :)  I don't recall FLO posting what their best-selling model is, though I know Steve does post such information about certain products from time to time.  I think he posted about their best-selling camera the other day, for instance.

James

I fear that the "best selling" scope in the UK is probably something rather awful and most of them end up in the attic or basement covered in dust because they simply failed to live up to the expectations of the purchasor :undecided:

The 8" and 10" chinese dobsonians from Skywatcher and GSO do seem to me to offer the best performance per £ spent for the visual observer and therefore get recommended lots of times on here, a good proportion of which translates into actual sales I reckon.

Having owned and used them myself I've no hesitation in making such recommendations if they seem to match the needs of the person making the enquiry :smiley:

Many people seem to turn up at astro meeting with small MAKs on

synscan mounts. And still wondering how to set them up... :o

I suspect most telescope types require a certain "quantum leap" in

thought, if you've never seen such a thing before. The traditional

route of buying / reading a book first is rather less common now? 

I wonder if there was a poll on SGL of all the scopes owned what would come out top my money would be on the SW 80mm frac.

Alan

probably right but thats because of imaging. An 80mm scope isnt my idea of a great visual instrument.  its been my primary visual scope for a couple of years. I have an 80mm triplet f6 its great for wide stuff its portable its quick but for dsos its not great and for planets its not great a 130p collimated properly is better on both and is a whole lot cheaper the 200's that I have looked through at starparties are a lot cheaper than my triplet and give better views they are however not portable if you don't drive. The best scope really is the one you use

probably right but thats because of imaging. An 80mm scope isnt my idea of a great visual instrument.  its been my primary visual scope for a couple of years. I have an 80mm triplet f6 its great for wide stuff its portable its quick but for dsos its not great and for planets its not great a 130p collimated properly is better on both and is a whole lot cheaper the 200's that I have looked through at starparties are a lot cheaper than my triplet and give better views they are however not portable if you don't drive. The best scope really is the one you use

I was thinking that more of them might be around being used as finders/guide scopes.

Alan

FLO call it "The UK's most popular Dobsonian telescope." so it must be true! :D

Here at FLO the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p is still the bestselling telescope and I am 100% confident it is the UK's bestselling Dobsonian. Though this month, leading up to Christmas, the Skywatcher Heritage 100p is number one. 

I had forgotten that thread. I will post this year's top ten in the morning for comparison. 

Steve 

Archived