SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Few Winter Clusters

Qualia

This week the weather has been forgiving. The days and nights have been crisp but relatively still and cloudless. Due to the full Moon, I've been concentrating on open clusters, star fields and their doubles and Jupiter.

Here are a few sketches I've made during the week. Some were conducted with the small TV 76, a couple of others with the bigger 10" - the aim of the exercise wasn't so much as to tweak maximum star detail but to capture the most pleasing view.  

Alpha Persei Cluster

I was meaning to sketch this over the Autumn but ended up concentrating on galaxies and nebulae. So this bank holiday weekend before the Moon was too high in the sky, I quickly set up the 76 and plotted the delicate star field. 

Its age seems to be around 50 to 70 million years and lies about 600 light years away. The supergiant Mirfak which is some sixty times larger than the Sun can be seen beaming bright on the right of the sketch and just a little to the east was noted a pleasing reddish/yellow star which  might be Persei 34.

post-21324-0-15545000-1418386550_thumb.j

NGC 1893

High on the zenith, by late evening, Auriga offered some stunning winter views. I decided to concentrate on NGC 1893, a beautiful star field fitting for a wide field view. It not really a true open cluster and the majority of stars lie anything from 200 to 500 light years away. Both to the lower right (eastish) and upper left (northish) a certain degree of neblosity was captured which might be some type of emission nebula within this galactic cluster.

post-21324-0-73737300-1418387683_thumb.j

NGC 1807

Again, not so much a true open cluster but more a delightful asterism in Taurus.

post-21324-0-23980800-1418388001_thumb.j

NGC 1647

Another spectacular open cluster in Taurus about 2,200 light years away. Near the centre there seem to be some relatively close doubles estimated to be around 100 million years of age.

post-21324-0-71417100-1418388243_thumb.j

M 103 & NGC 663

Earlier in the week I was able to view Cassiopeia at a reasonable hour in the evening and decided to sketch this pairing which looked spectacular in the little 76. There's a far bit going on in the sketch. To the upper right NGC 663, a relatively young open cluster some 7,000 light years away and made up of over 400 stars. Over to the left is M 103. This is probably one of the most distant open clusters observed, some 9,000 light years from us and it appears that those stars sketched are anything from 15 light years away from each other. Any planet orbiting those solar systems would have some gorgeous sunsets. 

post-21324-0-43470800-1418388714_thumb.j

NGC 2362

Further down in Canis Major, I decided to sketch the view with the 10". Its a huge open cluster with some elegant doubles to view. Another night I will have to sketch it with the small 3", for with averted vision it explodes with stars. Indeed, it really is a gorgeous cluster worth seeking out. William Herschel was enchanted by its beauty and Sir Patrick Moore included it in his Caldwell Catalog as one of the finest non-Messier objects to be discoverd.

post-21324-0-55525400-1418389085_thumb.j

NGC 2169

Back up to Orion with the 10", this open cluster is also known as the '37' due to its resemblance to the numerals 3 7. Never really saw this figure, but it is an exquisite cluster some 4,000 light years away which is well worth seeking out.

post-21324-0-98355400-1418389367_thumb.j

Thank you all for your kind comments :smiley: It has been a good week, but sadly I think the clouds are arriving for the next few days. Hopefully, I'll have one last opportunity tonight before they role in for the next few days. Fingers crossed :grin:

Beautiful drawings, much better than imaging.
Nick.

Aye, Nick. And cheaper :p But on a serious note, they're both great ways to enjoy nature's offerings and I guess my wallet and I are fortunate to have never been into photos, cameras in any fashion. I have a camera on my mobile, but I don't think I've taken more than three or four photos with it, and that was to post something in the microscope section. I've been meaning to write up a review of the TV 76, but I just can't be bothered taking pictures  :rolleyes2:  Weird really..... :icon_scratch:

Rob I've just done a sketch of ngc2169 and I've been looking at yours for the 37. You can see it near the centre if you rotate your sketch anti clockwise once.

Here's your sketch cropped to show it.

post-20507-0-74157900-1418860246.jpg

The double to the right, or at the top when you turn it on its side is struve 848 and is in the top of the 3 of the 37. It shows how good the sketch is because you've captured it without seeing it.

I'll put my sketch up tomorrow when I've taken a pic. You have many more stars and is much more detailed but this might be why the 37 stood out well for me.

Anyway, they're all great sketches :)

Brilliant sketch, Richard and thank you for the extra information. I had no idea that the double was Σ848 and with your own observation I can see the 3 7 numerals :grin: Some people have such imagination to see these shapes! I look forward to sketch, and let me know when you post it up, for I too often miss post entries  :smiley: 

We've been blessed with good skies this week and I've been looking around the Canis Major, Puppis etc area. There are some spectacular doubles and open clusters to observe. Even if you've visted it already, I think it is well worth heading back to M 46. It is a blaze of stars and without the Moon the PN NGC 2438 within it stands out like a small brother of M 57. A really spectacular sight. Also had a lovely view of M 47 and NGC 2423 together in a widefield. It wasn't the Double Cluster in Perseus, but it was equally as spell binding.

Brilliant sketch, Richard and thank you for the extra information. I had no idea that the double was Σ848 and with your own observation I can see the 3 7 numerals :grin: Some people have such imagination to see these shapes! I look forward to sketch, and let me know when you post it up, for I too often miss post entries  :smiley: 

We've been blessed with good skies this week and I've been looking around the Canis Major, Puppis etc area. There are some spectacular doubles and open clusters to observe. Even if you've visted it already, I think it is well worth heading back to M 46. It is a blaze of stars and without the Moon the PN NGC 2438 within it stands out like a small brother of M 57. A really spectacular sight. Also had a lovely view of M 47 and NGC 2423 together in a widefield. It wasn't the Double Cluster in Perseus, but it was equally as spell binding.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but that's your sketch cropped lol not mine. I'll post mine on the images and sketching forum later once I've imaged it :) Mines a bit more basic, I can't see as much as you :)

I'm clouded out at the moment but will have another look around M46 etc, M47 was great even with a bit of moonlight and my poor skies.

Archived