SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light

woodsie

My first image taken last night

Subject M45 1 x 15 minute luminance sub unguided processed with AstroArt and Photoshop. Taken at Observatoire Etoiles at Olly Penrice;s Les Granges dark site S of France.

Scope Takahashi Baby Q

Camera QSI 583 WSG

Mount 10 Micron 1000 GPS modelled with Per Frejvall's Model Maker using a 25 point model.

Peter

post-18599-0-45795800-1418376369_thumb.j

Ah, the joy of imaging in southern France!

That looks rediculously good for a single sub and should be considered the starting point of a great project. Imagine 50 each of L, R, B and G under those conditions and with that equipment!

As a fellow observatory owner I can vouch for the efforts that have gone into Peter's rig. After trying remote operation with another mount and two other telescopes, the rig is now ready to go. With ACP powering all our rigs, the utilisation of possible imaging hours is at its peak and the data should be flowing in at an enormous rate.

I have a new focus motor on my TEC-140 that sits right next to Peter's, so I'll now join in the project of sucking all the photons out of southern Europe, leaving nothing for the rest of you ;)

/per

Quite an entrance, Peter!

I'm pretty sure this is the best single sub I've ever had the chance to play with. No flats, no darks, no bias, no guiding, just a single test firing to see how mount, scope, camera and automation would work. Incredible. This is a Kodak chip. Where's the noise? 

Also worth noting; contrary to widespread belief a 15 minute luminance sub at a brisk F5.3 has not blown the stars even on this target. If Peter goes for RGB in 10 or 15 minute subs they will be all that's needed to make the main stellar cores even smaller.

Olly

Archived