Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New User

DanHoax

Hello,

As you have probably already guessed from my username my name is Dan. I am new to the amateur astronomy scene, though space and its seemingly infinite reaches are something which has fascinated me since I was young. I have recently inherited a 2nd hand telescope (Bushnell 78-9003) I am now looking to stop browsing in awe what other people are viewing and start looking at the solar system etc through my own eyes.

I guess what I am looking for from this forum is a place to seek advice from knowledgeable people, check out what other people are doing and to learn more about space.

The first question I have though.......Does anyone have any experience with the Bushnell 78-9003 Telescopes?

Ive read a few reviews online and they do not seem favourable and the general consensus is that you could spend a little bit more money and get telescopes with far better capabilities, that are a lot sturdier and better built. The user manual states that this telescope can be used to easily view Andromeda and the Orion Nebula as well as Saturn and Jupiter (Though some reviews seem to be sceptical of this)

As this was free I am happy to use this as a beginner telescope and I am also willing to put some money into it if upgrading is a possibility and more financially viable than purchasing a better telescope. So far I have managed to have a good look at the moon last night whilst the sky was clear.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi :-)

You might find this thread relevant to your telescope

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206979-lost-eyepiece-for-bushnell-78-9003/

An improved eyepiece might be an idea and that you could take forward to a future scope but read that thread I linked first.

Enjoy your free telescope :-)

Also download stellarium it is great free software.

Edit that link is out of stock so this is another example link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-965-to-1-25-24-5mm-to-31-75mm-eyepiece-adaptor-converter-for-telescopes-/111035963946

Hi Dan, welcome to SGL. Having had a quick look at the "Deep Space Series Bushnell 78-9003 reflector" and its manual I would say the reviews you read are accurate. The mount of these is below par (i.e. practically unusable), it apparently sports the essentially obsolete 0.965" EP size (not good) and claims to go to 525x (something I cannot realistically do with my 8" SCT). I would consider something like the mini-dobsonians available from Orion or Skywatcher. MUCH better value for money. As this was free, you could remount it, perhaps, and certainly replace the 0.965" collar on the focuser with a 1.25" to allow use of better EPs.

Hi Dan, Welcome to the Lounge ;)

I'd recommend Stellarium also. And maybe think about buying , ( or asking for Xmas presents) a couple of good books.

Turn Left at Orion or the Backyard Astronomers guide. Are excellent. There is also a pocket sky Atlas, that some peeps recommend, but I can't remember the title. ( someone will be a long shortly that does). :)

Enjoy your Scope, get used to learning the sky. And ' Enjoy your new pastime ' ;)

Greetings Dan

if you looked in the eyepiece more than once I'm afraid you are on a slippery slope to late nights cursing the clouds and an empty wallet ! Although not a great scope the tantalising views will drag the receptors from the rear of the eyeball and like a drug you will want more, a bigger hit a wider fix a deeper view I'm sorry for you but fear not, those guardians whom roam these pages have knowledge and wisdom  that will guide you through the darkness to assist in finding the light heed their warning and listen to their tails for this is the way of the night!

oh and welcome to the fold! :)

Andy ( Mansfield )

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes! Think I am definitely going to stick with what I have whilst I get to grips with telescopes and learn the sky.

Greetings Dan

if you looked in the eyepiece more than once I'm afraid you are on a slippery slope to late nights cursing the clouds and an empty wallet ! Although not a great scope the tantalising views will drag the receptors from the rear of the eyeball and like a drug you will want more, a bigger hit a wider fix a deeper view I'm sorry for you but fear not, those guardians whom roam these pages have knowledge and wisdom  that will guide you through the darkness to assist in finding the light heed their warning and listen to their tails for this is the way of the night!

oh and welcome to the fold! :)

Andy ( Mansfield )

Hi Andy

Your pretty close to me (Unless its Mansfield, Ohio where you are based!). Any recommendations of good places locally to get a good view of the sky? I was always under the impression that we are in a relatively decent area with regards to light pollution and also Sutton Observatory is a 5 minute drive from me. I am also very close to Brierly Forest Park which has a nice hill in the middle of it which looks a good place to set up. Been looking at the night courses they run at Sutton Observatory to help me progress and to network with similar minded people. It would also be nice to know that any money paid will be going into keeping them running. Any help advice would be appreciated.

Hi Dan and welcome to SGL, sticking with what you have, should serve you well in the short time, although I am sure, that once you start to get to grips with the night sky, you will be yearning for a bigger aperture scope, enjoy :)

Archived