Narrowband

Vixen 2.1 x 42

D4N

I bought a set of these from FLO and they have been really nice, I have just taken them out for the first time on a cold night though and suddenly realised they can be really painful to use.

They have metal focusers with no rubber eye guard, when its -10C if the metal bit touches your face it hurts :s

Trying to stop them touching any skin is tricky.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with these?

I think I will probably have to make something up to go between my eyes and the bins as they aren't much fun to use like this and the winter is only gonna get colder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't had mine to my face long enough in the cold yet, but I can imagine the metal rims could get *real* chilly.....maybe improv some soft pads around the rims? If I find they get too frostbitey, I may see if I can find some thin stickyback rubber or suchlike, should be fairly easy to fashion say three curved pads w/ a Stanley blade- whether they'd stay put tho......?

Ok I've found a solution, I've removed the EP cups from the stock EP's that came with my old scope (not like I'll use those ever again!). They are a tight fit but they cover the part that comes into contact with my face. Next time I'm out hopefully I will be able to use them without them sticking to my eyes :)

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

I checked out some old binos first but the ocular was far to small. The EP's were the stock SW 10 & 25mm ones, it was a bit of a stretch to get them on and they don't provide the normal cup function but they do exactly what I need them to :)

An update on this, Zi was out in -10C again last night and the rubber guards made these much more comfortable to use. I was however constantly fogging up the ocular side of the bino's.

I tried not breathing but that didn't work for long ;)

I guess I should wear a scarf and breath out through that.

Thanks for the update Dan (guessing from your u/name! )

I really must try this, as a wee bit of cushioning would be nice I think - a thin rubber coating would be ideal although I've not yet had problems with cold (don't think my location ever gets arctic enough!)

Taking the Vixens up north this Christmas so hoping to get slightly darker skies so they can really blow my mittens off :)

• 3 weeks later...

Vixen-UK recently contacted us after reading this thread. They recognise some people are finding the metal eyecups on the Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular uncomfortable in freezing conditions so have been looking for some suitable eyecups. They have found some fold-down rubber eyecups from a discontinued binocular range that fit well on the SG2.1x42 eyepieces, but they have only four pairs. We have purchased all four and will happily send them free of charge to anyone who has purchased a Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular from us. 

@ D4N, we can't tell who you are from your username but if you email us we will be pleased to send you eyecups. 
Vixen-UK are looking for a more permanently available solution to include in the box in future.  :icon_salut:
HTH, 
Steve

Just received the eyecups (next day delivery! Thanks!) and they certainly do enhance the comfort of using the 2.1s. They also offer more protection to the optics, which I appreciate being a clumsy-cat at times :) Can't wait to get them out in the cold! I'll report back when they've been under the stars.

My great thanks to Steve and FLO, and of course to Vixen :)

Utterly *superb* service and customer care. Par excellence!

An update on this, Zi was out in -10C again last night and the rubber guards made these much more comfortable to use. I was however constantly fogging up the ocular side of the bino's.

I tried not breathing but that didn't work for long ;)

I guess I should wear a scarf and breath out through that.

Snorkel?

If Vixen-UK find a permanent solution to this problem I would like to obtain a pair if it is possible FLO.

It reminds me of last winter using a particular Orthoscopic EP without a rubber eyeguard. On this freezing night my eye socket got stuck to the metal rim - not a nice feeling.

First night to try the new eyecups: only a brief binocular session as I have a bad shoulder which makes lifting bins mighty painful...but, enough time to confirm these cups really work in keeping your eyesockets from turning into snowballs...only a couple of minutes without the cups turned my orbits to ice-not-nice.

I've folded the cups over to keep each eye close to the lens, whether this is needed I dunno. That'll have to wait til my shoulder plays nice.

So, thanks again Vixen and FLO! You've made a c/old boy very happy! My skullbones send their regards :)

Well, after all this chit-chatter, I went ahead and ordered these yesterday. 

Next month, I will also order the Helios 15x70 and hopefully be done with my binocular collection (until such time as I get my hands on a Canon 10x42 IS)...

.... we are quietly confident Vixen-UK will find a more permanent solution and when they do we'll update everyone here :smile:

We have good news. Vixen-UK have found eyecups that suit the Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular perfectly :smile:

From here onwards all SG 2.1x42 binoculars will include eyecups. We have also ordered eyecups to add to our existing stock and will have a handful left over so if you have purchased a SG 2.1x42 binocular from us and would like a free complimentary pair of eyecups please email us with your name and order number. 

HTH,

Steve 

That's great news and superb service! Thanks FLO and Vixen :)

I can heartily recommend the eyecups for using in winter - they really do improve my comfort levels and that makes the Vixens a real pleasure to use when Mr Frosty is nippin' at your nose!

I use mine a lot more lately and longer because of the cups...a win-win :)

Archived