Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Imaging Setup Equipment and Software

Mag

Breaking into astrophotography today, faced with acquiring an initial setup, can be a daunting task.  Newton's Third Law of Astrophotography may as well be "for every recommendation, there is an equal and opposite recommendation." 

Being a nuclear engineer, and more importantly, a control room Operations Supervisor for over 33 years, teaches one the best solutions and applications are the simplest, or what we call "The Elegant Solution."  To respond and control billions of watts of power, one must be able to cut through proprietary baloney to fundamentals fast, and react properly.  To some of the posted processes that I have seen, starting with 10 page Ritchey-Cretien collimation dissertations, ending with 128 imaging frames processed through eight software programs to produce a final picture, they fail miserably as "The Elegant Solution."  Enrico Fermi was one no-nonsense scientist, who would have disdained the new computer-esque dictionaires that cloak fundamental concepts into "new" terminology, that ends up holding conceptual / fundamental thinkers blindfolded hostages to the process.  "Push the button get the bannana." 

Somehow, it has become a sign that software that is simple be associated with limited effectiveness, leading one to believe they are missing something.  "Software for Dummies........."  It is, in fact, a sign of ignorance of "human perception and psychology" of software requiring hundreds of pages of manuals to decipher.  My physics professor, a student of Enrico Fermi, used to tell us acnedotes of the gret master, who would have disdained modern proprietary computer language:

"Anyone who cannot explain the most complicated process to a five year-old child in five minutes does not himslef know it."

"I left the conference still confused, but at a higher level."

These two comments, unfortunately, too often fit the present state of affairs of many avocations, including astronomy. 

It is seldom any "out-of-the-box" hardware and optical chain combine as an optimal system, producing anything approaching optimal results.  But I can recommend one, after years of experimentation.  This is not to say there are others.

First, the scope.  For all of the expensive attempts at coma and chromatic abberation correction that chase the solution as a full size lens or corrective element at the beginning of the optical chain, the much better and simpler solution is to put a corrective lens ------- or "contact" lens ------ at the 2" diameter imaging equipment (or eyepiece) end.  After all, this is what Hubble turned out to use, whose images are certainly "OK."  It is more efficient to correct your vision using glasses or contacts, rather than grinding a prescription windshield for your car. 

This means an f/4.5 or so Newtonian with coma corrector, provides the widest, coma-free, chromatic abberation-free, fastest imager available.  It also happens to be by far the least expensive.  It also is easily objectively collimated with great precision using an inexpensive laser.  It has no mirror shift.  It weighs about the same as an SCT or Ritchey-Cretien. 

Off-axis guiding tales of yore using reticle eyepices, broken necks, and impossible searches for guidestars, are one dinosaur of the past that stands truly enhanced by using computer guiding, such as PHD Guiding.  So easy is this, that, if you have not discovered this, you will "laugh in disgust" at whatever method you used to use.  Using a TOAG (Orion makes a dandy) with a DSLR camera for imaging, and any autoguiding camara of your choice (Orion Starshoot or G3 work great), you never have to even look through a guidescope, AND, never even have to focus it!  The autoguider camera in this setup is parfocal with the imaging camera.  Get precision focusing with a Bahtinov Mask: an elegant solution consisting of placing a plastic mask over the end of the telescope tube (or sit on Newtonian secondary support).  A Bahtinov Mask works for any telescope.  All of its variations solely consist of getting it to fit and center the telescope it is used on.  You do not need electric or even two-speed focusers to acheive perfect focus.  The Elegant Solution. 

For telescope mount control, why would anyone try and get a PC to do what the hand controller already does very well?  If you desire to control an outside scope from the comfort of your home, or ice fishing house, simply extend the hand controller by using an ethernet cable via a $3 (Lowes, others) double-female end connector.

Finally, software.  This is a difficult issue. So difficult, that it is a large factor in what equipment and software you choose.  The big 2 monopolies are not interested in having their systems loaded with "unverified software", such as ASCOM, or about any other astronomy software.  By far the best platform is therefore equipment provided with Linux software, which is science software first and Space Invaders and iShop second.  If using Windoz or MAC, your only defence is, upon initial setup and proving of operability, to disconect it from the Internet and use it for no other application.  Leave "Autoupdate" and security update permissions on, and you will quickly find your carefully configured science tool reduced to the Hollywood Inquirer and Gary and the Geek Beats, with those processing settings you set and saved from hours of work nowhere to be found, deleted during the megabytes of repairs these systems constantly require to remain "functional."  The Pentagon uses Linux as the only securable operating system: why aren't you? 

Software available that works well in Linux includes Stellarium, Raw Therapy (a Photoshop replacement), and KStars.  Photo processing and stacking software is also available, but I have not yet tested it.  We're still in need of Linux autoguider software, and Canon shutter control sequencing.  Anyone? 

In summary, a great out-of-the-box setup for astrophotography with superb results that I can personally vouch for as tested tried-and-true:

- Orion 10" f/4.7 (or f/3.9) Newtonian, with stock one-speed focuser.  Make sure this is a model with the provided backfocus required for astrophotography! 

- Orion Thin Off-Axis Guider (TOAG)

- Orion Atlas mount

- Canon T3 Gary Honis modified full spectrum (would recommend the Baader od instead).

- Baader Fringe Killer / IR cut filter (used with the Canon T3 full spectrum mod, this is also a positively WONDERFUL way to turn a two-element refractor into one rivaling top three-element scopes)

- Baader Mark IV MPCC Coma Corrector (works directly with Orion TOAG: all fittings needed for Canon DSLR ARE PROVIDED).

- Get a USB powered hub to plug in camera and guidescope, and provide for long runs to indoor shelter.

- Get gold-plated (ends) USB cables mail-order.  These are less than $10 for even 15' lengths.  Retail USB and HDMI cables are several times more costly, classic checkout lane profit gouge specials. 

- Orion G3 of Startshoot auotguider

- I recommend Nebulosity, an $80 program that will control the imaging camera, do about all of the proicessing you need in a sensibly simple program, and allow for setting up hours of auto-shooting at a time of an entire imaging set ------ while you sleep (or catch walleye).  No longer are astro and domestic time mutually exclusive.  Worth every penny when you consider that.

The above configuration is well designed by Orion to be an integrated package, requiring no extra adapters, or nickel and dime you to death.  Note that a guidescope IS NOT NEEDED, saving some 6 pounds of instrument load.  I use a Telrad finder.  The camera, coma corrector, TOAG, G3 (or similar auto guider camera) and Baader filter is one assembly that fits into the palm of your hand: it can be plugged as a unit into ANY telescope with a 2" focuser, and used without any software or physical change whatsoever.  TOTAL less than two pounds added to the out-of-the-box scope.  There are no doubt substitutions that might be made, but I will attest only to the above as needing no additional parts, shims, spacers, schemes, or accessories to work.

This entire package, camera and all, new, will cost less than $3000, shipped.   

Just originated, my image gallery is found:

Mag: 10" f/4.7 Newtonian Gold - Photo Gallery - Cloudy Nights

Pictures added regularly. 

It is my hope that needless complication and frustration be avoided.  I have seen people give up with what can be a nasty, complicated, indecipherable proprietary mess.  After all, this is supposed to be fun, and not some stuck-in-the-corner production to mill out the greatest picture ever seen of a galaxy. Hubble has already done that.  

If you can eliminate the equipment barrier and make the means efficient and simple enough to become transparent, you become free to think and discover, share with others, see change in real time (supernovas, comets).  Gain awareness of where we are and the dynamic awe of  our surroundings.  That is what it is all about.  It isn't a contest. 

-

Archived