Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1848 Soul Nebula bi-colour

Barry-Wilson

In the two clear nights we've had in south Devon in the last few weeks I've captured some OIII data to add to my Ha subs for the Soul Nebula.

Between times, I practised processing using LRGB FITS data courtesy of Jim Misti and Steve Mazlin: M8, http://astrob.in/136147/B/, and M24, http://astrob.in/137002/0/ 

I would like to capture more data, as going deeper is one of my goals, but the weather is frustrating at the moment, as many of you know, so may need to wait and be patient . . . 

Details:

10 x 1800s Ha, 5nm Astrodon, bin 1

10 x 1800s OIII, 5nm Astrodon, bin 1

Tak FSQ85 EDX with reducer x0.73

Avalon Linear Fast Reverse

Atik 460EX

Captured with SGPro and processed with PixInsight

Hi res image at Astrobin, http://astrob.in/137934/0/.

Thanks for looking - comment always welcome.

Barry

post-28392-0-84003800-1417198615_thumb.j

That's looking deep already Barry, good stuff! As for this weather... Don't get me started....

My only criticism would be that the stars look to me like they have a slight halo to them. I'm guessing that the OIII stars are slightly larger than the Ha stars? If that's the case, it would be worth reducing the OIII layer stars a bit (I'm a big fan of the photoshop minimum filter method) to balance them with the Ha stars.

Very nice indeed :)  I use the 3nm OIII filter to match with the 5nm Ha and find that generally the stars are around the same size with the same initial processing on both Ha and OIII.  On a side note, I have the 5nm SII filter and often find the stars slightly larger than the Ha and OIII but maybe the processing is not the same.  SII is usually pretty faint :(  Maybe a 3nm SII would be better but then you lose the Nitrogen band (in addition to costing a lot more).

Thanks everyone.  I'm just glad to have managed to capture anything in the else last few weeks.

I'll have a look and see if I can amend the star colour.

Gina - I use 36mm filters so that I can use my Atik 383L+ at the faster focal ratio that my Tak brings and I couldn't source the 3nm Astrodons in that size, which was a pity.

Clear skies!

Barry

Lovely work Barry, I really like the tone you have used here. There's a few areas of this nebula that I am keen to try at high focal length and your image has just made me more excited to do this as soon as the weather will allow.

Pete 

Archived