Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New QSI 6120

Earl

In fairness to QSI, they always do give this information (sensor size) - the diagonal is 15.86mm by the way - but I am astonished how relatively difficult most mainstream manufacturers make it to get this vital information! Physical sensor size is the FIRST thing I look at, pixel size and count are only of interest after this ......

3.1um pixels. Like little flycrap specs ;) I will take the 3.1um pixels if I get more of them, but the well depth gets frightfully low at that size.

Earl, I am looking into the FLI ML-50100. It is in production, waiting time around three months and a PERFECT match for both my Tak 106 and my TEC-140. First opportunity for my cash flow and I'm buying! Filters are a bit expensive, though, at 63x63mm each...

/per

Go on Per, you know you want one...... :-)

I just looked to see if they have narrowband filters yet in 65mm - so far only Ha 5nm at a whopping $3K!  The LRGB set is a veritable bargain at "only" $2K.  So for a full set of LRGB+NB, will probably be over $10K.

If I listen very very carefully, I think I can hear your wallet whimpering all the way from Sweden ;-)

All the best

Nick

3.1um pixels. Like little flycrap specs ;) I will take the 3.1um pixels if I get more of them, but the well depth gets frightfully low at that size.

Earl, I am looking into the FLI ML-50100. It is in production, waiting time around three months and a PERFECT match for both my Tak 106 and my TEC-140. First opportunity for my cash flow and I'm buying! Filters are a bit expensive, though, at 63x63mm each...

/per

Im looking forward to seeing your results with that Per.

The 50100 is an incredible chip but the dual rig is a serious alternative for real estate megalomaniacs. Two Atik 11000s give you, say, 37x47mm allowing for a bit of overlap. That would give you the Horse, Flame, Running Man and M42 quite easily as in the inner frame below. Just flying this kite, two used FSQ106Ns come in below a new ED 106 and the two Atiks with wheels and filters would be cheaper than the single FLI. If you went for an OSC 11000 plus one with Ha, O111 and L it would be cheaper still. (Is cheaper the right term here???  :eek: )

But then the question of a dual FLI rig arises. Now, Per, we already have two TECs between us and a mount to carry them. Why not see if you couldn't get a nice discount by buying two FLI's? I'll pay the postage.  :grin:

Olly

post-2393-0-55030900-1417272349.jpg

Why not see if you couldn't get a nice discount by buying two FLI's? I'll pay the postage.  :grin:

Olly

I'll go halves with you on the postage Olly, if I can borrow one!

But seriously, the 3.1 um pixels would be an excellent match for a short focal length scope or camera lens, I use a  Pentax 67 300 M* lens, a cracker.

As to the well depth, if the noise floor is low enough, could you not get round the shortcoming with more short subs to get you to the same useful signal without saturating star cores?

Huw

• 3 months later...

FYI, have just bought a 6120. Can't get more than about 49000 ADU out of it, and that's the same as other people on the qsi yahoo group.

Dam an blast! That's what I get for being an early adopter.

H

Hi Huw,

I was the one who replied on the yahoo group, two of us have the same and have been discussing but would be good if there are any other 6120 users who could verify this 49k ADU limit.

QSI have a KB artical on how to calculate the ADU based on gain 

http://store.qsimaging.com/kb_results.asp?ID=17

Problem here is you need the full well depth  (Saturation Signal (electrons)) which QSI do not provide for the Sony chip cameras

http://www.qsimaging.com/600series-compare.html

working backwards from the ADU we are seeing and the quote gain gives a well depth of 6370 which is way wrong.

Google produced a well depth of 34734 quoted against the SXVR-H814M but feeding that in produces

34734/0.13 = 2671846 ADU - that is just plain stupid so must be something else going on.

Think we have both mailed support so will be interesting to see what comes back

Hi Trevor, We have a result, at least QSI have admitted to a possible problem.

BTW FLI quote the well depth of the 834 chip at 10K electrons

QSI give a gain figure of 0.13e/adu, this would appear to be the problem, somehow the gain has been set incorrectly at the factory.

Interestingly, my H35 has just come back from SX, as the gain was set so high it would bloom when binned on virtually any exposure duration.

What has happened to QC in factories?

Huw

HI Huw, 

Good to get a fast response, lets see what the fix is.

Not that it seems to effect the camera performance and as was said on the QSI forum we have not lost data it is just being scaled incorrectly. It is a good camera and does perform well, this is the first image I too with it.

DoubleCluster_zps34e1920a.png

Nice fist light Trevor. Yes, true, we're not losing anything, the quoted dynamic range is 68 dB, so still a little bit in hand, but it would be nice to get a camera that performs to the quoted spec, especially for the price we've paid.

Huw

Archived