SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 questions and a bit of a moan

Hello I have a Celestron 127EQ, I think its alright.

I cant drive and only really have two places to view, garden or out of bedroom windows (on third floor just above a damn street light at end of the drive) 

Iv sort of managed to prune the tree out front to block abit of light, any suggestions? will council turn it off if I ask?

Also behind the houses in front of my house theres a sports club with tennis courts etc.. and they light up the sky enough so theres no need for the street lamps anyway.

The problem out the back is I have to use telescope on patio so I can't dig the legs in to stabilize it, if I go past the patio all the neighbours garden light sensors switch on and they can only be switched permanently on or off until something sets the sensor off you cant turn them off- stupid design imo (I took the bulb out of mine but cant even sneak and do the same to theirs because it will go off lol and jesus there bright). to make it worse I have cats and a lot of my neighbours do aswell and there always blinding me too. lol.

Any suggestions? Probably a lot of people in my situation. Would go over the field but id either get run over by a dirt bike.

Often there is a simple solution with this.

Light trespass is an issue that a lot a local authorities take seriously, these days.

If approached in the right manner, they can be very accommodating and helpful. Your local Councillor would be a good person to contact too. Disturbed sleep because of light intrusion is a valid concern.

You may even want to suggest ways of dealing with your street lights, such as mentioning shielding the light, so that it is directed away from your house, dimming, or even part-night lighting.

If this is not a desirable solution with you, your can drive to quiet places where no one will disturb you. Unfortunately, where there's people, there's lights.

Some astronomers do this all the time and fail to understand why people would want to observe in their back yard, when they can seek darker skies.

Hope you find a solution to this.   :)

You might get a favourable response from your Council regarding possible shading of the nuisance lamp.

Best to approach them in a very polite way though, otherwise they certainly will not cooperate.

People in the same situation have had success with street lamp intrusions.

As for stabilising your scope tripod, no need to dig holes on the ground, you can simply hang a weight from the tripods centre leg brace, and that will steady it up for you.

a 4 or 5 Kg weight ought to suffice.

Ron.

Hi, given that you can't drive to another site I would defo ask the Council. They sometimes accommodate and sometimes reject on the grounds of community safety. I would maybe try a good Light Pollution filter. I'm in a town myself and use baader semi apo one which helps a lot. The Astronomik ones are good too.

Q: how does pruning a tree block light out?. Surely it would let more light in.

Q: how do cats blind you?. I'm guessing they dont jump on your head and scratch your eyes out (although not out of the question).

More importantly, It has been known for councils to shield lights in certain places for people who ask nicely. Regarding setting up on the patio..........you could align the scope and mark where the tripod legs sit and then using some kind of sander power tool you could make small indentations where you have marked and then sit the tripod legs in those indents. Although to be honest i dont think setting up on a patio would seriously de-stabilize the telescope. If the scope tripod has an accessories tray, you could just add more weight to it using a couple of hefty rocks or even tins of beans or anything else you have at hand.

One thing you dont want to do is de-activate neighbours "security" lights. That will open you up to a heap of trouble with the neighbours and maybe even the police.

Thanks for all your suggestions, very helpful

Q: how does pruning a tree block light out?. Surely it would let more light in.

Q: how do cats blind you?. I'm guessing they dont jump on your head and scratch your eyes out (although not out of the question).

1) pruned it so it grows bushy towards lamp, long slow process lol

2) they set light sensors off and im not jokin there well bright! even all the pond wildlife freaks out!

If I may just jump in a little here how would one approach the council re: bright street lights?

I have one out the front of my house which illuminates half my garden and although I have LP from other sources, this is far and above the biggest problem. I have heard of shielding of them althugh I also believe it is a county council issue as on a main road so they may not be as helpful as the local councilors.

If I may just jump in a little here how would one approach the council re: bright street lights?

I have one out the front of my house which illuminates half my garden and although I have LP from other sources, this is far and above the biggest problem. I have heard of shielding of them althugh I also believe it is a county council issue as on a main road so they may not be as helpful as the local councilors.

Write a letter to the environmental department, or send an email if the LA website has a contact page. Some of 'em don't, as they think it saves them money not to pay for staff answering enquiries. It does help a lot if you have the name of the individual who deals with these issues.

You can also write to your Councillor as well - but I would advise to contact the council first. From my dealings with the LA in lots of different forms, please and thank yous go a long way!! :)

Disturbed sleep from light trespass is an issue they take seriously.

The local Councillor has more power than you think; some of them have the authority to deal with issues such as street lights.

http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/index.jsp?LGSL=358&

I rang my local council help point number, they put me through to street light company I said light shines in bedroom and is seriously affecting my hobby. All very polite and gracious.

They are coming out to paint the side of the LED lamp that faces our house.

Maybe have a chat with the neighbours and see if they would mind adjusting the sensors on their lights so that they only trigger if something moves in their garden (probably your cat). At least that way you can move about.

Good luck.

Paul

As a result of reading this thread I have contacted Cardiff CC asking them to shade a street light that shines directly into my garden. I mentioned astronomy, light pollution, and the fact that the light shines into one of my bedroom windows.

I will let you know the result!

After moving in a number of years ago, after getting the Council and local councillor involved, I was allowed to hammerite the rear of a lampost that was directly backed on to the garden, two lengths of batten and a dogs leg brush, half a tin of hammerite - sorted. Have had lovely dark garden, even when the bulb goes the guys replacing carefully put back the shield in the right place.

post-3788-0-58489500-1417100987_thumb.jp

...Light trespass is an issue that a lot a local authorities take seriously, these days.

If approached in the right manner, they can be very accommodating and helpful. Your local Councillor would be a good person to contact too. Disturbed sleep because of light intrusion is a valid concern....

O yes... they take it seriously because they have to show that they respond.

But beyond responding they do very little :tongue:

As for disturbed sleep... it might be a concern to me, but  I was told to use better curtains :grin:

They have turned up with light meters and decided that there is no problem (had to be more than 5 Lumen if I recall correctly).

Good luck in your dealings with council YMMV

After moving in a number of years ago, after getting the Council and local councillor involved, I was allowed to hammerite the rear of a lampost that was directly backed on to the garden, two lengths of batten and a dogs leg brush, half a tin of hammerite - sorted. Have had lovely dark garden, even when the bulb goes the guys replacing carefully put back the shield in the right place.

attachicon.giflampost.jpg

That's the same type of lamp i have outside the front of my house. Even with the lamps, i can still make out M33 with my eyes. I live in a cul-de-sac with no more then 12 houses. I dont see the need for the lamps(there's only 4 of them) myself but not much i can do about it. My neighbours may like me much (not sure they do anyway). One neighbour i do know well is a cop. I might ask him the best way to go about getting something done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived