Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Try with a Borrowed UHC FIlter - 3 Targets

ArmyAirForce

Living in a Bortle 8~9 area, the brightness of the sky is a serious problem. I have been using an astro-modded Canon with a Skywatcher LP filter, and while this does help, it is far from perfect. I could manage 5 minute exposures at ISO 800, which gave me quite a bright pink sub. This is a 5 minute ISO 800 sub of the Pacman Nebula from the Canon with the S/W LP filter.

post-20257-0-50395100-1416997143.jpg

Last month, one of my club mates loaned me UHC and CLS clip in filters to try with the Canon. In typical English style, it took five weeks before I got a weather window to try them.

So finally on November 23rd, I set up late afternoon for what looked like a long clear evening. The first target I had a go at was IC348, a star forming region in Perseus. I had a quick look on the net to see what the target looked like, and as I hadn't tried it before, gave it a go. It was quite low in the sky, only about 25 degrees elevation when I started shooting, so it was lurking in the top of the worst area of light pollution. I shot 2 hours of 5 minute ISO 800 subs, as a five minute exposure was a known quantity for a comparison on sub brightness. This is the image that came from those two hours. Longer exposures would give a better image, but this was just a comparison test.

ic348a.jpg

Next target was IC405, the Flaming Star Nebula, which by this time was at 35 degrees altitude. I started shooting 5 minute subs, then tried one 7 minute sub to see what it looked like. It wasn't significantly brighter, so had a go at 10 minutes. This image shows the difference between the 5 minute Skywatcher filter ( on the Pacman ) and 10 minute UHC filter ( on the Horse Head ). For an extra 5 minutes of exposure, I was surprised at the result.

post-20257-0-85194400-1416998520.jpg

I ended up shooting 3 hours 30 minutes on the Flaming Star, and got this image from it.

ic405a.jpg

The last target for the night was the Horse Head Nebula. I tried this a couple of years ago with my ancient Nikon D50 before I was able to guide, so was limited to 2 minute exposures. I picked it up, but only just. So this would be my first try with the Canon and guided. I managed two 10 minute ISO 800 subs, then the clouds rolled in. They were patchy, and I waited a while to see if they would pass, but as it looked like it would be at least 3am by the clear patch was over the target, I decided to call it a night and shot my flats. I did some 10 minute darks in the fridge the following day. So this is just two 10 minute subs, but for such a short exposure time, I'm very pleased with the result.

ic434a.jpg

The next clear night, I'll try the CLS filter and see how that compares.

Interesting results. Nice captures by the way. I have the CLS clip filter and find it works very well. It is built like a tank as well in terms that its pretty much indestructible. The one problem I do have with it though is at shorter focal lengths (under 100mm) I find it tricky locating stars to focus on either visually through the finder or by using either APT or Backyard.

Living in a Bortle 8~9 area, the brightness of the sky is a serious problem. I have been using an astro-modded Canon with a Skywatcher LP filter, and while this does help, it is far from perfect. I could manage 5 minute exposures at ISO 800, which gave me quite a bright pink sub. This is a 5 minute ISO 800 sub of the Pacman Nebula from the Canon with the S/W LP filter.

Hi

You have similar lp to me - can't get much worse than Bortle 9!

Louise

Even M45, the Pleiades can be hard to make out against the glow on some nights!

Same here.... Up to now I've been limited to imaging from my flat (East or West only) but my proximity to the city centre means severe lp. I'm hoping to be able to get out in the not-too-distant future and point my scope North. As that's away from the city it should be a bit darker. Won't know for sure until I try!

Louise

Archived