Narrowband

Dew and Electronics

gnomus

Sorry to keep bothering people with my beginner questions.

I've had a couple of attempts at imaging.  It's a steep learning curve.  So far I've just been sticking my DSLR on the end of my scope (or have been piggy-backing).  The scope and the DSLR are (of course) intended for outdoor use and have, therefore, a degree of weatherproofing built into their design.

I recently got hold of a planetary imaging camera and to use this I am going to have to take my laptop outside.  

The laptop has no "weatherproofing" built into its design, and I am a little concerned about dew.  My gear always ends up getting pretty saturated.  I am worried that the laptop will not tolerate this.  

My wife thinks that I will have nothing to worry about since the laptop will generate it's own heat.  I'm not so sure.  Is this something about which I need to be concerned?  Can I take any measures?   

Thanks in anticipation.

Buy some corriboard off eBay and make a box to go over the laptop. This is the stuff that house for sale signs are made from - light, strong and waterproof. I used duct tape to join the sheets at their edges - you could make it collapsible with Velcro if you want to store it folded or transport it to a dark site

Depends how far you are trying to run the cable! If you are really worried, you can get repeater cables pretty cheaply (11 pound for 5m on amazon). 

As for dew, I usually have my laptop outside, with the screen mostly closed (so it still stays on) and then use Teamviewer (a free program) to control it from my main computer inside. 

When I go outside at the end of the night, everything is dripping wet except the laptop which is quite happy, probably because it generates so much heat.

Adam

Archived