Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rejecting frames in AS!2?

SnakeyJ

According to Emil's site I should be able to discard rogue frames from my AS!2 capture - but other than discarding the bottom end of the quality, I can't see how to do this manually.  Problem is I'm now getting a few over exposed burnt out frames in some runs, which AS!2 is putting at the top of the sorted stack.    PIPP also seems unable to discard these frames for some odd reason - any tips, or alternative software I could use?

Try VirtualDub to delete the really bad frames before loading into PIPP .

Thanks Steve, Virtualdub came up trumps, though I had to use PIPP to convert the captures to AVI first (SER format not supported).   It turns out is was the first 21-22 frames of each R channel capture, which must be the dealy while the filterwheel moved from L-R in sequence - I'm sure that there was also a similar delay on my G and B channels, but this was not obvious as the transmission is very similar between these.   I will add a 1 sec delay between sequence captures in future to allow the FW to rotate.

Registax allows you to select individual frames, I've never tried it in AS!2 since it's always given me a good image without me having to fiddle with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me to - I stopped using R6 for anything but wavelets early last year after discovering AS!2.   Autostakkert gives much better results on planetary, though R6 may just edge it on lunar surface.   It's a shame though that development of Registax appears to have stalled.

Thanks Steve, Virtualdub came up trumps, though I had to use PIPP to convert the captures to AVI first (SER format not supported).   It turns out is was the first 21-22 frames of each R channel capture, which must be the dealy while the filterwheel moved from L-R in sequence - I'm sure that there was also a similar delay on my G and B channels, but this was not obvious as the transmission is very similar between these.   I will add a 1 sec delay between sequence captures in future to allow the FW to rotate.

If you have the utvideo codec then I'd be tempted just save straight to avi.  There's no loss of data that way.  SER may have been useful if avi files could only be saved with lossy compression, but now it doesn't I don't see that using SER really buys you much other than timestamping individual frames.

James

If you have the utvideo codec then I'd be tempted just save straight to avi.  There's no loss of data that way.  SER may have been useful if avi files could only be saved with lossy compression, but now it doesn't I don't see that using SER really buys you much other than timestamping individual frames.

James

James - I appreciate that this will save some hard drive space, but won't this codec slow my frame rate during capture or when processing?   Like many things it seemed a good idea a couple of years back and sure I got better capture/write speeds, but it has become rather a habbit, though utvideo has always looked attractive for archiving...

A quick experiment achieves 60% reduction in file size, which is certainly not to be sniffed at - perhaps I'm not too old to learn another trick!

I don't believe it should have a significant effect on performance, to be honest.

As a general rule, once you have the data off the camera capture speed will be limited by disk speed.  Unless you have a large and stonkingly fast SSD or you're writing to a ramdisk (ie. you have gigabytes of RAM to spare), that's pretty much always going to outweigh using the processor.  My opinion is therefore that it's far better to spend a bit more CPU time reducing what you have to write to disk than to spare the CPU and write huge amounts of data to the disk.

As we move away from traditional hard disks that may well change.  I keep looking at 1TB SSDs and thinking "that's actually fairly cheap, but not cheap enough yet".  I don't think it will be long though.  Give it five years and I reckon magnetic hard disks might well be as much of a curiosity as floppies.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Jake, I have just come across this and think it may answer your question, about halfway down the page.

Not sure how to add a proper link, so you may need to copy and paste.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/361823-autostakkert-2/page-10

Hope it helps.

Angie

Thanks Angie - I will try the space bar deselect feature. Interesting read in that thread and great active support from Emil.

Archived