Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Safari

This is probably the most stupid question that I have asked so far. I have just put the Sky Safari 4 app on my ipod Touch. The only problem seems to be the cardinal points are in the wrong direction, N is where E should be and E is where S should be. What's going on? Apart from this it seems to be a good app for £1.99.

Brian

on android you can change them on the top right of the screen. what position are you using it. if you use it like a planisphere the views will be correct

I held it up to the sky just like a Planisphere, swiped my finger across until East was East and it now appears sorted. I am not sure how though.

Diolch yn Fawr

Brian

If you point it East, does it show the correct direction?

Does the star map show Uranus in the SSE?

Only things I can think are that the phone gyro is not calibrated or working or that you've got the wrong date set somehow?

It's nothing to do with reversing of the image for a refractor is it?

I've run out of straws to clutch at :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you point it East, does it show the correct direction?   No

Does the star map show Uranus in the SSE?    No

On

It's nothing to do with reversing of the image for a refractor is it?   Possibly

Thanks for your input, I will have to do some more investigation

I think I have sorted it. With the giro off, point the phone/ipod towards a known object, for instance the moon (cloudy again so used Cartes du Ciel and aimed it at where Uranus should be). Then turn on the giroscope and it works.

Sky Safari works perfectly fine on my android smart phone. You do have to remember to turn on the GPS function on the app (and on your device). Otherwise it basically will not know where in the universe (or on the planet Earth it is). A magnet on the case could also confuse it as John states above. 

Archived